Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • May 3, 2014 9:46 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

SUBJECT: Hills Leads the Way as White Team Downs Blue 21-0 in University of Delaware Football Spring Game

DATE:  May 3, 2014
      sws:

NEWARK, Del.  -- University of Delaware rising sophomore running back Wes Hills was the star for the White team on Saturday as he rushed for 154 yards and scored two touchdowns to lead his team to a 21-0 victory in the annual Blue-White Football Spring Game at Delaware Stadium. 

The game, played under sunny skies before an estimated crowd of 2,500, wrapped up spring drills for the Blue Hen football squad. The game was preceded by the annual Fandemonium V in which families and fans enjoyed games, pony rides, face-painting, and bounce houses, sampled food from local vendors, and listened to a live band. 

The White team, which consisted of the first team offense and defense, dominated the action as the squad piled up 282 total yards, including 154 yards on the ground.  Defensively, the team held the Blue squad to just two first downs and 40 total yards. The game format saw the teams play two 12-minute quarters followed by a 20-minute half with a running clock. 

“I thought we played with good energy and intensity today, we had some good situational stuff, and the kids had the chance to come out and play in front of a good crowd,” said Delaware head coach Dave Brock, who led the Hens to a 7-5 record in his first season at the helm last fall. “We got to see some young guys who are starting to establish themselves. Wesley Hills showed everybody the kind of player he is today. He is a dynamic young guy, an explosive player, and a home run hitter. Right now he has some ball security issues (he had two fumbles) that we have to address, but that is what the summer and training camp is for. We also had the chance to get a good look at some of our young defensive guys like Jalen Kindle, Larry Spears, Blaine Woodson, and Justin Watson and we were very pleased with the way they played. Overall it was an exciting day.”

Hills, who saw limited action as the team’s No. 3 running back as a true freshman in 2013, was a busy runner as he carried 20 times for 154 yards and one touchdown and caught two passes for 33 yards and another score. He broke off on a 60-yard touchdown run down the left sideline on just the third play of the game. He later caught a 23-yard scoring toss from senior quarterback Justin Burns, grabbing the ball in the flat and breaking several tackles for the score. He saw most of the reps as sophomore running back Jalen Randolph, who will battle with Hills for the top running back spot this fall, sat out with an injury. 

“Today was a step in the right direction,” said Hills, who carried the ball just 10 times for 81 yards in his rookie campaign in 2013 but was a big contributor on special teams. “We are getting a lot better, and even though we lost a lot of important guys (from last season), it should be a great fall. I hope to improve on a lot of things this summer - ball security, blocking, hitting the right holes, and stuff like that. I have a lot to focus on.”

The White team closed out the scoring with 1:11 left in the second quarter when Burns tossed a 39-yard strike to senior Stephen Clark on a post pattern down the right side. Clark caught two passes for a game-high 48 yards on the day while Andrew Peterson and Andrew Opoku also each caught two passes. 

Burns, slated to be the Hens’ No. 2 quarterback this fall behind third-year starter and 2013 Colonial Athletic Association passing rating leader Trent Hurley, played for both teams on Saturday and combined to hit on 9 of 18 passes for 116 yards and two touchdowns. Hurley played the first two series and was 2 of 4 passing for 24 yards before sitting down for the rest of the day. 

Defensively, senior defensive end Derrick Saulsberry led the White team with four tackles, all of them for loss. Senior linebacker David Mackall, junior defensive tackle Vince Hollerman, and redshirt freshman linebacker Jalen Kindle all added three stops. For the Blue team, redshirt freshman linebacker Larry Spears, redshirt freshman defensive tackle Blaine Woodson, redshirt freshman defensive back Chris Buckley, and junior defensive back Eric Farkas each had three tackles. 

On special teams, sophomore punter Eric Enderson, a second-team All-Colonial Athletic Association selection in 2013 when he ranked third in the nation with a 45.0 yard average, booted eight punts for a 48.4 yards average, including one that went for 71 yards. 

Among the top veteran players who sat out of the game due to injuries were Randolph, defensive backs Craig Brodsky, Jake Giusti, and Jordan Thomas, wide receiver Jerel Harrison, defensive linemen Laith Wallschleger and Josh Plummer, offensive lineman JD Dzurko, and tight end Nick Boyle. 

Brock announced on Friday the three Blue Hen Touchdown Club Most Improved Players for spring practice. The award recipients were kicker Garrett Greenway (Special Teams), offensive tackle Connor Bozick (Offense), and cornerback Justin Watson (Defense). 

AGATE:

Scoring Summary

White.......7......14......0.........21
      Blue.........0........0......0...........0

1st Quarter
      White – Hills 60 run (Greenway kick) 11:06
      2nd Quarter
      White – Hills 23 pass from Burns (Greenway kick), 7:49
      White – Clark 39 pass from Burns (Greenway kick), 1:11
      Second Half
      No Scoring
      Attendance: 2,500

TEAM STATISTICS

Blue            White
      First Downs29
      Rushes-Yards18-1420-154 
      Passing Yards26128
      Passes (C-A-Int.) 6/11/09/19/0
      Total Yards40282
      Fumbles-lost0/02/0
      Penalties-Yds.0-01-5
      Punts-Avg. 8-48.4              

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS: 
      Rushing: Blue - Trejon Dinkins, 16 carries, 7 yards; Rich Czeczotka, 2 carries, 7 yards; White - Wes Hills, 20 carries, 154 yards, 1 TD

Passing: Czeczotka, 4/7, 14 yards, 0 TD; Justin Burns, 2/4, 12 yards. 0 TD; White - Burns, 7/14 104 yards, 2 TD; Trent Hurley, 2/4, 24 yards, 0 TD; Michael Johnson, 0/1, 0 yards, 0 TD

Receiving: Blue - Deandre Davis, 2 receptions for 12 yards; Ricky Emerson, 1 for 10 yards; Anthony Speziale, 1 for 4 yards; Dinkins, 2 for 0 yards; White - Stephen Clark, 2 for 48 yards, 1 TD; Hills, 2 for 33 yards, 1 TD; Andrew Peterson, 2 for 25 yards; Andrew Opoku, 2 for 17 yards; Matt Rodriguez, 1 for 6 yards

Punting - Eric Enderson, 8 for 387 yds., 48.4 avg., Long 71 yds

Tackles: 
      White - Derrick Saulsberry – 4 tackles (2 solo), 4 TFL; David Mackall – 3 tackles (2), 1 TFL; Vince Hollerman – 3 tackles, 3 TFL; Jalen Kindle – 3 tackles (2), 1 TFL; David Tinsley – 2 tackles (2); Ryan Torzsa – 2 tackles (2); Khaliq Gatson – 2 tackles (2); Chris Corvino – 2 tackles; Christopher Lail – 2 tackles (1), 1 TFL; Patrick Callaway – 1 tackle (1), 1 TFL; Eric Patton – 1 tackle (1); Kivar Thurman – 1 tackle (1)

Blue - Larry Spears – 4 tackles (2), 1 TFL; Blaine Woodson – 4 tackles (1); Chris Buckley – 4 tackles (2); Eric Farkas – 4 tackles (2); Khaliq Gatson – 3 tackles (1); Tommy Wilmoth – 3 tackles, 1 Pass Breakup; Justice Smith – 3 tackles (1), 1 TFL; Christopher Lail – 2 tackles (1); Grant Roberts – 2 tackles (1), 1 TFL; Justice Watson – 2 tackles (1); Brandon Snyder – 1 tackle (1); Randall  Schiccatano – 1 tackle (1); Mark Doe – 1 tackle (1), 1 Pass Breakup; Nate Haase – 1 tackle; Eric Patton – 1 tackle.

- DDD - 

• May 5, 2014 12:45 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

SUBJECT:  University of Delaware Football Partnering to Host Annual Be the Match Bone Marrow Donation Event Monday

DATE:  May 4, 2014
      sws:

NEWARK, Del.  -- The University of Delaware football team, in partnership with the UD women’s volleyball team, the UD Student Nurses Association, and the UD Residence Assistants will host the sixth annual Be the Match bone marrow registry event this Monday, May 5. 

The event will be held from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. on Monday, May 5 in Multipurpose Room C of the Trabant University Center.

Last year’s event brought in a record 570 registrations, shattering the previous high of 370. Delaware has had four matches during the drives, including former Blue Hen football student-athletes Paul Worrilow, now a member of the NFL Atlanta Falcons, and Corey Olsen. 

Every year, thousands of people are diagnosed with blood related illnesses and they rely on the National Bone Marrow Registry to match them with donors to save their lives.

Entering the registry only requires some paper work and a simple mouth swab, which is less then a 20-minute process. For those who are matched with someone in the registry, a blood plasma donation is all it takes 75 percent of the time. 

In the past five years, the Fightin’ Blue Hens have entered more than 1,000 people in the National Bone Marrow Registry through the Get in the Game Save a Life program.

Students, faculty, staff and members of the community are invited to attend the event. 

For more information on the Be the Match Foundation and the May 5 event, go to www.bethematchfoundation.org. 

- DDD - 
    • May 9, 2014 12:22 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

SUBJECT:  University of Delaware Football Standout Zach Kerr Sets Sights on National Football League Draft

DATE:  May 8, 2014
      sws:

NEW YORK  --  When the annual National Football League Draft takes place this weekend at Radio City Music Hall, at least one University of Delaware football standout is expected to hear his name called. 

Blue Hen defensive tackle Zach Kerr (Quince Orchard HS/Gaithersburg, Md.), who earned All-American honors in 2013 when he led the Blue Hens to a 7-5 record under first-year head coach Dave Brock, is among the defensive linemen expected to be taken at some point during the three-day, seven-round draft. 

The NFL Draft, which will once again be televised live on ESPN and the NFL Network, will begin Thursday night, May 8, at 8 p.m. and follow through to the final pick on Saturday afternoon. The first round will be held Thursday night, the second and third rounds will take place Friday beginning at 7 p.m., and the final four rounds will be announced on Saturday starting at 12 noon. Fans can follow the draft online at www.nfl.com. 

The 6-1, 326 lb. Kerr was ranked No. 18 among all defensive tackles and No. 200 among all players in the most recent cbssports.com rankings and was projected as a sixth round pick. He was ranked 13th among all NCAA Division I FCS players and third among Colonial Athletic Association players, trailing only Towson running back Terrance West (No. 96) and Maine cornerback Kendall James (No. 136). 

In addition to Kerr, Blue Hen 6-6, 346 lb. offensive tackle Erle Ladson (Cardinal Hayes HS/Bronx, N.Y.), and 5-10, 192 lb. cornerback Travis Hawkins (Quince Orchard HS/Rockville, Md.) were also listed in the rankings. Each of those players, as well as 5-11, 200 lb. running back Andrew Pierce (Cumberland Regional/Bridgeton, N.J.), are expected to get close looks from NFL teams as free agents should they not be selected in the draft. 

Kerr, however, is the most likely to hear is name called following a senior year that saw him earn first team All-Colonial Athletic Association, second team The Sports Network All-American, and third team Beyond Sports Network All-American honors. Kerr, who finished the season with 57 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, 3.5 sacks, and two forced fumbles, also took part in the prestigious East-West Shrine Game and worked out for NFL scouts at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, Ind. in February. 

Ladson started all 12 games at offensive tackle in 2013 and ended his career having played in 48 games with 23 starts. He participated in the NFLPA Collegiate All-Star Game at the end of last season. 

Hawkins, who played for three seasons at Delaware after transferring from Maryland, appeared in 33 games with 31 starts at Delaware and recorded 168 tackles, eight interceptions, and 20 pass breakups. A 2012 All-CAA cornerback, he recorded 66 tackles, four interceptions, and eight pass breakups and average 27.4 yards on nine kickoff returns with one touchdown last fall. 

Pierce, one of the top running backs in Delaware history and a two-year team captain, was a four-year starter for the Blue Hens who twice earned All-American honors and was a four-time All-CAA selection. He rushed for 822 yards and 10 touchdowns as a senior and finished his career ranked No. 2 all-time at Delaware with 4,459 yards rushing and 44 touchdowns. 

Delaware, which currently has eight active players on NFL rosters, last had a player drafted in 2012 when offensive lineman Gino Gradkowski was selected in the fourth round by the Baltimore Ravens. 

- DDD - 

• June 6, 2014 1:34 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Head Coaches Announced for the 59th Annual DFRC Blue-Gold AlleStar Football Game

The DFRC Blue-Gold AlleStar Football Game Committee and DIFCA (Delaware Interscholastic Football Coaches Association) proudly announce the head coaches selected for the 59th Annual DFRC Blue-Gold AlleStar Football Game,as chosen by the members of DIFCA. For this year's competition, Cordie Greenlea (head coach, Delcastle Technical High School) will lead the Blue team and Glenn Phillips, Jr. (head coach, Laurel Senior High School) will coach Gold.

Cordie Greenlea- Head Coach, Blue Team

Coach Greenlea's experience with DFRC began in 1999 when he was an assistant coach for Blue. He served as an assistant coach for Blue again in 2001 and 2012. Greenlea has been the head coach at Delcastle for the past three seasons.

"I feel it is an honor to coach in the Blue-Gold Game," said Greenlea. "I have worked with the special education population most of my teaching career and I love seeing students grow and blossom into independent and self-sufficient people. I believe, if given the opportunity, all people should have the ability to reach their potential."

The rest of Greenlea's staff includes Dave Battafarano (assistant coach, Delcastle Technical High School), Pat Hines (assistant coach, Delcastle Technical High School), Kevin Waesco (head coach, Tower Hill High School), and Tom Wood (head coach, Brandywine High School).

Glenn Phillips, Jr.- Head Coach, Gold Team

Coach Phillips first became involved with DFRC as a player representing Laurel High School for the Gold team in 1999. He has attended every DFRC Blue-Gold game since that year and joined the coaching staff for the first time as an assistant coach for Gold in 2013.

Phillips was appointed the head football coach of Laurel Senior High School in 2011 and says that being named the head coach of the DFRC Blue-Gold game has been a personal goal since getting involved in high school football.

"[Being the Gold head coach] is a great honor for me and my family," said Phillips. "The experience that the DFRC gave me as a young high school kid helped mold me into what I am today. I want to be able to spread the great word of DFRC down south and represent DFRC and Laurel High School to the best of my ability."

Joining Phillips on staff is Joey Deiter (assistant coach, Laurel High School), Eston Ennis (assistant coach, Woodbridge High School), Mark Quillen (head coach, Sussex Technical High School), and Mike Tkach (head coach, Milford High School).

59th Annual DFRC Blue-Gold AlleStar Football Game

DFRC sponsors the annual DFRC Blue-Gold AlleStar Football Game and proceeds from the game benefit programs for individuals with intellectual disABILITIES throughout Delaware. This year's game will mark the 59th time the game has been played. It will also be the 40th anniversary of the Hand-in-Hand Program and 50th anniversary of the DFRC Blue-Gold Marching Band. The 2014 game will be held at the University of Delaware Football Stadium on Saturday, June 21, 2014.

Victoria Testa, the 2014 DFRC Blue-Gold AlleStar Football Game Committee chairperson, has announced that on Game Day, festivities will begin at 3:00 p.m. with games, music, face painting and more at the Family Fun Zone. The Blue-Gold players, cheerleaders, band members and queen candidates who participated in 1964 and 1989 are invited to reunite for the 50th and 25th anniversaries of their Blue-Gold experience. Opening ceremonies and introductions begin at 6:00 p.m. on the field and kick-off is at 7:00 p.m.

The community is welcome and encouraged to attend. General Admission tickets are $10 for adults, $8 for students. Tickets will be available online at www.dfrc.org starting in January or by calling the DFRC office at 302-454-2730. Grotto Pizza is the official ticket sponsor of the DFRC Blue-Gold AlleStar Football Game. For more information on DFRC, visit www.dfrc.org.

###

• June 6, 2014 1:35 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

By David A. Willauer-Contributing Editor-Tubby Raymond Field at Delaware Stadium-Newark, DE: After a 27-0 Middletown win over Salesianum for the Division I State Title that was held at Delaware State University down in Dover, the Sals during the regular season defeated the Cavs by a 23-10 score in that contest that was held at Baynard Stadium in Wilmington, Penn State Bound Troy Reeder carried the ball for 230 yards and scored 2 long touchdown runs of 22 and 46 yards and ended the Cavaliers 23 game winning streak and won by a 24-13 score at Tubby Raymond Field at Delaware Stadium it was a different story the son of former Christiana High School and University of Delaware fullback Danny Reeder after trailing 7-3 after Darius Wade for the Cavs 14 completions out of 25 attempts for 167 yards and 1 interception threw a 35 yard pass to Dennis Burger for the only score of the game for the Cavs. The Sals came back by a 10-7 lead as Pittsburgh bound tight end 6'7" Brian O Neill (3 receptions for 75 yards) caught a pass from qb Matt Sgro 9 completions out of 13 attempts for 140 yards caught a 63 yard touchdown reception. Again Troy Reeder with his running speed as he carried the ball 25 carries for 136 yards scored 2 touchdown runs of 3 and 11 yards on the Tubby Raymond Field Astroturf back where his father used to play to make the final score 23-7. 

Brian O Neill Salesianum wide receiver on the 63 yard run: " I saw the ball coming to me and had no idea where I was I thought I was out of bounds and kept running and kept praying as I said please don't touch me the ball was on the back of my shoulder as Middletown's Dennis Burger 5'10" 150 pound defender was following me and outran him for the score, I also give a lot of credit to the coaching staff prepared us for this game and we brought the trophy to our school." "Troy Reeder is a good teammate and my best friend he is a brick wall we worked all together in summer lifting weights for us to win."

Troy Reeder on his 2 touchdowns: "We stepped up in huge situations and came out with big plays when we did it's good for our teammates to win a state title as I give credit to our offensive line this was the best season that we had as I told the o line this one was for them as in our defense played fundamental defense a lot of guys stepped up for us today."

Billy DiNardo Head Football Coach at Salesianum: "Our kids never quit they were relentless have never recovered and did the responsibilies that they had to do on after trailing 7-3 we recovered and defeated a good Middletown team before the game I talked to Mark Del Percio and said that we are the 2 best teams in the state." "Brian O Neill's 63 yard td reception was a big play as our kids did a check off play down 7-3 my qb Matt Sgro checked off and looked for Brian O Neill ran very hard for the score after the game I showed them the poster was a remembrance of last years defeat down at Delaware State."

This is Head Coach Billy Dinardo's 4th title at Salesianum

• June 6, 2014 1:37 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

By David A. Willauer-Saturday, November 30, 2013-Tubby Raymond Field at Delaware Stadium-Newark, DE: For the first time since 2007 when current Rutgers co captains Jamil and Jamal Merril played on that last squad the 2nd seed Silver Eagles of Hodgson 11-2 after a 24-21 win during the regular season over the top seed Hawks defeated St. Georges this time on qb Ray Jones 14 carries for 85 yards and scored 4 touchdown runs of 5, 20, 61 and 3 yards and passed 3 times out of 4 attempts for 67 yards along with teammates Rakeem Woodland's 10 carries for 117 yards scored on a 39 yard touchdown run and Deondre Barr's 5 carries for 37 yards scored on a 2 yard run defeated the top seed St.Georges Hawks at 11-2 by a 38-0 score. 

Frank Moffett Hodgson Head Football Coach: "Earlier before the game I received a text from the Merrill twins and they shared with me before the game today was that our legacy was left in 2007 and as you win the game today you will leave your legacy on the field, we were perfect last week vs. Caravel my players did it hands off to our defense I have a great coaching staff along with good athletes as I challenged Ray Jones today I give credit to everyone who played a good solid football game our saying is defense wins game we shut their offense down my assistant Franz Kappel had planned some strageties that we had to do in our film studies these kids responded and did well." 

For the Hawks, qb Zack Wright had 6 completions out of 16 attempts for 69 yards threw 1 interception.

• June 6, 2014 1:39 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

3 touchdown runs by Dominic Dorsey sparks Caesar Rodney in first round win over William Penn High in DIAA Division I First Round

By David A. Willauer-Contributing Editor-Saturday, November 16, 2013-Rider Stadium-Caesar Rodney High School-Camden-Wyoming, DE:  It was a high scoring affair down in the town of Camden-Wyoming, DE where the game could go either way but it went to the Riders of Caesar Rodney as they improve their record to 8-3 on the season on Dominic Dorsey's 3 touchdown runs of 1, 5, 6 yards, qb Alex Kemp 5 yard pass to Seth Brosius, 25 yards to Donte McKenzie, Dean Johnson's 1 yard run as they defeated the 7-4 William Penn Colonials by a 49-33 score.

Michael Schoenwolf Caesar Rodney Football Coach:  "It's tournament time and there are two outstanding football teams that are out there for a reason I have pride on both teams William Penn came strong in the third quarter in with Reggie Carroll ran the ball well for them."  "In the second quarter we had a nice lead and started not to well on the first drive and in the second quarter we moved the ball a lot better."  "Alex Kemp is a good player and he had a good night and led the team as well." 

For the Colonials who end their season, Reggie Carroll led with 30 carries for 316 yards and scored touchdown runs of 72, 35, 75, 1 along with his season 2013 totals are 2100 rushing yards and 23 rushing touchdowns.  Daniel Johnson's 25 yard pass to Myric Rhodes.

The Riders will travel to Middletown High School and will take on the Cavaliers on Friday, November 23, 2013.  For tickets go to www.diaa.ticketleap.com  

• June 6, 2014 1:42 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

By David A. Willauer-Contributing Editor-Bob Degroat Field-Tower Hill School-Wilmington,DE-Friday, November 15, 2013-In a see-saw game game that was played at Bob DeGroat Field on the campus of Tower Hill School, but it was a different story as the 6th seed Woodbridge Raiders improve their record to 8-3 on qb Logan Wescott's td passes of 62 to Bragg Davis along with a 6 yard run (Passing 7 completions out of 13 attempts for 110 yards Carries 13 carries for 50 yards), Shedrick Rayford's 1 yard run and Jaylyn McGee's 20 yard fumble return for a td defeated the top 3rd seed previously undefeated Hillers of Tower Hill by a 28-21 score.

Ed Manlove Head Football Coach for Woodbridge:  We played hard and this the way that we play we ran hard as well as we shifted our players in and out of the huddles on both sides of the ball  that worked out well for us."  It is good for the first time in our history after we finished with a 2-8 mark last year and great to see a lot of good players with a lot of commitment as they have worked hard in the weightroom in the offseason for us to improve this year, you saw four or five freshman that made big plays for our ballclub but our motto is "It doesn't matter who it is someone has to step up to make the play."  " Logan Wescott  is our leader he does what we need to do for our squad he had a good game as we were a little banged up and it was a crazy effort our defense started out a little slow but once when we settled in the second half we played it under control." 

For the Hillers of Tower Hill who end their season at 10-1 Jermaine Knotts (11 carries for 104 yards) scored on a 21 yard touchdown run, Matt Smith (5 completions out of 14 attempts for 68 yards rushing 18 carries for 91 yards scored on a 38 yard run and Cole Wenzel scored on an 8 yard run.     

• June 6, 2014 1:43 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Football Tournament Roundup-Division II First Round game Woodbridge defeats Tower Hill

By David A. Willauer-Contributing Editor-Bob Degroat Field-Tower Hill School-Wilmington,DE-Friday, November 15, 2013-In a see-saw game game that was played at Bob DeGroat Field on the campus of Tower Hill School, but it was a different story as the 6th seed Woodbridge Raiders improve their record to 8-3 on qb Logan Wescott's td passes of 62 to Bragg Davis along with a 6 yard run (Passing 7 completions out of 13 attempts for 110 yards Carries 13 carries for 50 yards), Shedrick Rayford's 1 yard run and Jaylyn McGee's 20 yard fumble return for a td defeated the top 3rd seed previously undefeated Hillers of Tower Hill by a 28-21 score.

Ed Manlove Head Football Coach for Woodbridge: We played hard and this the way that we play we ran hard as well as we shifted our players in and out of the huddles on both sides of the ball that worked out well for us." It is good for the first time in our history after we finished with a 2-8 mark last year and great to see a lot of good players with a lot of commitment as they have worked hard in the weightroom in the offseason for us to improve this year, you saw four or five freshman that made big plays for our ballclub but our motto is "It doesn't matter who it is someone has to step up to make the play." " Logan Wescott is our leader he does what we need to do for our squad he had a good game as we were a little banged up and it was a crazy effort our defense started out a little slow but once when we settled in the second half we played it under control."

For the Hillers of Tower Hill who end their season at 10-1 Jermaine Knotts (11 carries for 104 yards) scored on a 21 yard touchdown run, Matt Smith (5 completions out of 14 attempts for 68 yards rushing 18 carries for 91 yards scored on a 38 yard run and Cole Wenzel scored on an 8 yard run.

The Hawks from St. Georges defeated Indian River Indians by 42-35 score both of the Selby twins Tarronn Selby 34 carries for 377 yards Keyjuan Selby 10 carries for 131 yards and contributed with touchdowns.

QB Raymond Jones carried the ball 15 times for 129 yards and scored 2 touchdown runs of 65 and 13 yards paced the Silver Eagles of Hodgson to a 38-14 win over Howard.

Derrick Groomes 9 yard pass to Corey Hart and scored on a 3 yard touchdown run paced the Buccaneers of Caravel to a 33-17 win over the Wildcats of Delmar.

Division I: Nick Spadafino's 3 touchdown passes of 40, 68 and 25 yards to Tauvaris Sample paced the Dover Senators to a 28-24 win over the St. Marks Spartans. 

• June 16, 2014 11:54 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

SUBJECT: University of Delaware Football Picked No. 23 in Athlon Sports FCS Preseason Top 25 Poll

DATE:  June 16, 2014
      sws:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The University of Delaware football team has been picked No. 23 in the Athlon Sports Pre-season Top 25 poll that was announced recently by the publication.

Delaware, which will be led this fall by second-year head coach Dave Brock, joins the ranks of six other Colonial Athletic Association schools picked in the top 25, five of which are on the 2014 Delaware football schedule.  

Delaware finished with a record of 7-5 in 2013, losing two games by three points or less. The Blue Hens narrowly missed out on the 20-team NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision Tournament.

"We are excited to be recognized by Athlon in its pre-season poll,” said Brock, who returns 13 starters from last year’s squad. “We look forward to an exciting 2014 season as we continue to rebuild the Delaware football program. We are working hard in the summer program and look forward to reporting for camp the first weekend in August."

Among the Blue Hens’ top returning players are All-CAA selections in senior wide receiver Michael Johnson, senior tight end Nick Boyle, senior linebacker Pat Callaway, and sophomore All-American punter Eric Enderson as well as senior quarterback Trent Hurley.

Athlon Sports is the first major pre-season poll to include Delaware in its Top 25 ranking as the Hens were not ranked in the Lindy’s and Sporting News polls announced earlier this month. The Sports Network media poll and the FCS coaches poll will be announced in August.

Eastern Washington came out ahead of three-time defending national champion North Dakota State – which graduated 24 seniors -  to take the top spot in the Athlon poll. New Hampshire was the highest CAA school in the rankings at No. 4.

Other CAA schools included in the poll were Villanova at No. 8, 2013 national runner up Towson at No. 10, William & Mary at No. 15, Richmond at No. 18, and James Madison at No. 22. Maine, the 2013 CAA champion, was left off all three pre-season polls.

The CAA was well represented in the Athlon poll, putting seven teams in the top 25, the most among the 14 NCAA FCS conferences. The Missouri Valley Conference ranked second as it had five teams ranked in the pre-season top 25.

Delaware will face five teams from the Athlon pre-season poll this fall as the Blue Hens will take on No. 4 New Hampshire on Nov. 15 in Durham, N.H.; No. 8 Villanova on Nov. 22 at Delaware Stadium; No. 10 Towson on Oct. 18 at Delaware Stadium; No. 15 William & Mary on Oct. 25 in Williamsburg, Va.; and No. 22 James Madison on Sept. 27 in Harrisonburg, Va.

Delaware will travel to Heinz Field to take on Atlantic Coast Conference contender University of Pittsburgh in the first-ever matchup between the two schools in the season opener Aug. 30 followed by the home opener the following week vs. in-state foe Delaware State at Delaware Stadium.

Great season ticket packages for Delaware’s seven-game home schedule are on sale now at www.bluehens.com or by calling 302-831-2257.

AGATE:

Athlon Sports 2014 FCS Pre-season Top 25:

1. Eastern Washington
      2. North Dakota State
      3. Southeastern Louisiana
      4. New Hampshire
      5. Northern Iowa
      6. Jacksonville State
      7. Montana
      8. Villanova
      9. McNeese State
      10. Towson
      11. South Dakota State
      12. Chattanooga
      13. Fordham
      14. Coastal Carolina
      15. William & Mary
      16. Montana State
      17. Tennessee State
      18. Richmond
      19. Furman
      20. Southern Illinois
      21. Sam Houston State
      22. James Madison
      23. Delaware
      24. Eastern Illinois
      25. Youngstown State

- DDD - 
    • June 22, 2014 1:47 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

2 Raekwon Bouges touchdowns key Gold over Blue in 59th Annual Blue-Gold Football Classic

By David A. Willauer-Contributing Editor-Tubby Raymond Field at Delaware Stadium-University of Delaware-Newark, DE-6-21-14-For the third year in a row, the Gold All Stars came back from a 14-0 deficit after Concord's Matthew Mellette (9 carries for 36 yards) scored on a 10 yard run along with Zack Whitehead's (10 completions out of 25 attempts for 150 yards) out of St. Marks High School threw a 35 yard pass to Archmere's Conor Furey (1 reception for 36 yards) both PAT's were good by Tatnall's Ty Tashner.  The Gold squad came back in the second quarter on 1 Spencer Murray (4 completions out of 4 attempts for 31 yards) touchdown run of 1 yard along with a 15 yard pass to Woodbridge's Shedrick Rayford (1 reception for 15 yards) tied the game at 14-14 with both PAT's good by Woodbridge's Brent Adams. 

The Blue squad went ahead 21-14 in the third quarter as McKean High's Darius Jones ran on a 2 yard qb sneak as PAT was good by Tatnall's Ty Tashner.

The Gold came back after Concord High's Matthew Mellette fumbled to the Gold squad as Dover High's Raekwon Bouges (16 carries for 41 yards) scored on a 6 yard run to tie the game at 21-21.  In the fourth quarter Caesar Rodney connection of QB Alex Kemp (9 completions out of 18 attempts for 193 yards) connected to wide receiver Dominique Dorsey for 34 yards.  Dover High's Raekwon Bouges scored his second touchdown on a 2 yard run with the PAT good by Bret Adams from Woodbridge to make the final score the Gold 28-21.  

Laurel High's and Current Gold Coach and Former player Glenn Phillips:  "We were put in a situation in the first half but did execute anything on offense, again came out and when we dropped the ball it is nothing in what the Blue did they played their tails off in the first quarter we didn't execute and our squad was in the hole and the Blue squad made some keys plays and when we came on we settled down and played our game."  "Raekwon Bouges was the key to our offense with the ball as it was 3rd and long we were going to run a screen play and the Blue called a time out as we were going to our total package which was Dajon Emory and Raekwon Bouges went straight ahead CR qb Alex Kemp is a wing t guy and we were going to run a spread he came a long way in practice as he loves the Wing T which is a great offense." 

At the All Star banquet which was held at the Modern Maturity Center down in Dover, DE the following individuals were recognized and received the following awards:

All Graduating Buddies:  Todd Evans, Jessica Kulley,Austen Saylor, Terrance Walker, Ashley Webb, Brandon Williams and Jacob Zonick.  2014 All Star Buddies are Matthew Lavelle for the Blue and Andrew Grunow for the Gold. 

This is the 30th Anniversary of the Hand in Hand Program given to the participants who best exemplifies an outstanding relationship with their buddy during the DFRC Blue Gold All Star program.  Football Players Brandon Goodge and Jeff Taschner from Tatnall for the Blue and Courtney Hibbard from Middletown for the Gold.  

Bob Carpenter Junior Award presented to the ambassador who demonstrates outstanding leadership abilities in furthering the mission of the DFRC and for the dedication of the Hand in Hand Program.  Recipients are Sarah Dombrowski from St. Marks for the Blue and Mariah Delpercio of Middletown for the Gold. 

Delaware Interscholastic Football Coaches Assocation honored Conor Furey from Archmere for the Blue and Deon Wright from Dover High School with the Jim Williams Memorial Award for contributing most to the squad spirit and morale during the training period as voted by the teammates and coaches. 

Outstanding Blue-Gold Cheerleaders Award presnted to Georgie Casalvera from William Penn High School for the Blue and Amber Branin from Middletown for the (Gold) for showing exceptional commitment to the cheerleading squad and selfless dedication to the Hand in Hand Program. 

Jeff and Denny Schwartz Band Award for outstanding band member was presented to Jake Ryland from Caravel for demonstrating incredible spirit and dedication to the Hand In Hand Program.  The award was renamed to honor the memory of the late DFRC volunteer and Band Coordinator, Jeff Schwarter who passed away in December of 2013.  His wife, Denny continues to volunteer with the DFRC Blue Gold Marching Band.

After the game the following players were recognized for their achievements:  Defensive Most Valuable Player of the Game Jacob Bricker of Middletown and the Offensive Most Valuable Player was Dajon Emery from Woodbridge.

Dajon Emory from Woodbridge:  "First of all I couldn't have done this together without my team I tried my best and we did well after we trailed 14-0 after the first period we came back with our running and passing to tie the game at 14-14 and they were running and passing I tried to contain St. Marks Blue QB Zach Whitehead he is a good qb so our defensive had came up with a scheme to contain him and the rest of the Blue squad it was solid 15 minute quarters we came down and played with the most heart after I thought that Raekwon Bouges did well on his 2 touchdown runs." "After I am done here at Woodbridge I am going to play my college football at Lackawanna College up in Scranton, PA."  

With the win the Blue leads this series 30-26-3. 
    • July 1, 2014 8:58 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sent: Tuesday, July 1, 2014 5:41:33 PM
      Subject: SUBJECT:  University of Delaware Football Places Enderson, Johnson on The Sports Network Pre-Season All-American Team

SUBJECT:  University of Delaware Football Places Enderson, Johnson on The Sports Network Pre-Season All-American Team

DATE:  July 1, 2014
      sws:

PHILADELPHIA  --  The University of Delaware and the Colonial Athletic Association were well-represented on The Sports Network Football Championship Subdivision Pre-Season All-American teams announced Tuesday by TSN. 

Blue Hen sophomore punter Eric Enderson (Phoebus HS/Hampton, Va.) earned second team honors while senior wide receiver and kick returner Michael Johnson (Gainesville/Gainesville, Fla.) gained a spot on the third team in the all-purpose category. The CAA led all national conferences with 15 players honored followed by the Big Sky with 13 citations. 

The duo led Delaware to a 7-5 record under first-year head coach Dave Brock last fall. The Blue Hens, who will open pre-season camp in early August, look to contend for the CAA title this fall as they welcome back 13 starters, including four who earned all-league honors. 

No player in the history of Delaware football had a better season punting than Enderson in 2013 when the redshirt freshman ranked among the nation’s top punters. After a slow start over the first three games, he was the model of consistency and led the CAA in punting average (45.0 per punt), punting yardage (2,701), and punts over 50 yards (22 - no other CAA player had more than 13), and ranked No. 2 in punts inside the opponent 20-yard line (20).

His 45.0 yard average, which ranked No. 3 nationally, shattered the UD single season record of 42.8 set by Gene Vadas in 1991. Enderson earned a slew of post-season honors in 2013 as he was named honorable mention College Sporting News All-American, second team Phil Steele Freshman All-American, second team College Sports Journal Freshman All-American, and second team All-CAA. 

“Eric had a breakout year as a redshirt freshman last year,” said Brock. “We are looking for him to maintain and improve upon that performance this fall. He really became a weapon for us on our special teams, which is one of the most critical parts of our team.”

Johnson proved to be one of the league’s most dynamic players, whether it be catching passes, running the ball, or returning kickoffs. He ranked second in the CAA in all-purpose yardage, piling up 1,800 yards for an average of 150.0 per game.

He led the Blue Hens in receiving with 60 catches for 1,035 yards and nine touchdowns, rushed for 159 yards and two scores, and returned 20 kickoffs for an average of 20.9 yards per return. He had six plays go for 60 yards or more during the season and led all CAA receivers with nine touchdowns while ranking third in yardage and seventh in receptions. 

“Michael proved to be one of the top wide receivers not only in the CAA but in the nation last year,” said Brock. “We expect him to build on his junior year and again be an explosive playmaker and one of the top guys in the nation at his position.”

In addition to Enderson and Johnson, other CAA players listed on the pre-season All-American team were first teamers in Towson fullback Emmanuel Holder, New Hampshire wide receiver R.J. Harris, and Towson cornerback Tye Smith; second team picks in William & Mary wide receiver Tre McBride, New Hampshire offensive lineman Mike Coccia, Richmond offensive lineman Austin Gund, William & Mary defensive end Mike Reilly, and William & Mary linebacker Luke Rhodes; and third teamers in Villanova quarterback John Robertson, Richmond wide receiver Stephen Barnette, Richmond defensive tackle Evan Kelly, Towson safety Christian Carpenter, and James Madison safety Dean Marlowe. 

- DDD - 
    • July 8, 2014 7:04 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Friday Night High School Football Recaps-9-6-13

Jordan Brown's 14 carries for 91 yards scored 2 touchdown runs of 6 and 4 yards paced the Wildcats of Delmar High School to a 30-27 win over Chesapeake High School of MD. Delmar's Tyler Davis scored 2 touchdown runs 4 and 6 yards. Shane Leatherberry scored on an 18 yard touchdown run along with teammate Donovan Taylor's 90 yard kickoff return. 

McKean QB Darius Jones rushed for 175 yds along with touchdown runs by Jamar Henry of 8 yards, Jabree Purnell's 4 yard run and Louis Hall's 26 yard touchdown run along with 350 yard on the offense on the ground and the defense forced three turnovers in the McKean 20-0 win over Tatnall.

Taaron Brown's 2 touchdown runs of 2 and 7 yards along with Zachary Whitehead's 14 yard pass to Rhett Schweizer and 1 touchdown run by Markquise Norman paced the St. Marks Spartans to a 28-0 win over the Colonials of William Penn under new head coach Marvin Dooley. 

Newark was defeated by Oxford High School of PA 14-7. Austin Lockett scored the only touchdown for the Yellowjackets.

The Howard Wildcats opened up the season on touchdown runs by Raekwon Wells of 46 yards along with Marvel Watts 6 yard touchdown run paced the Wildcats of Howard to a 42-20 win over the Charter School of Wilmington. 

2 touchdown runs of 16 and 19 yards by Robert Brown paced the Dragons of Glasgow to a 20-15 win over the Eagles of Smyrna.

Tyler Hill's 2 touchdown runs of 2, 25 and 51 yards paced the Seahawks of Delaware Military Academy to a 40-6 win over Dickinson. David Rhodes contributed for the Seahawks on a 25 yard field goal. 

Kickoff returns by Shaquille Hall for 58 yards along with Timothy Roberts for 73 yards for the Indians of Indian River as they were defeated by Stephen Decatur 30-28. 

Saturday, September 7, 2013 Football Recaps

In overtime the Sals of Salesianum on Daulton Gregory's 1 yard run on the first possession defeated the Riders of Caesar Rodney to a 41-35. 

Other Sals performers: Troy Reeder scored on 4 and 3 yards out for Sals. Brian O Neil 42 yard pass reception from Matt Sgro. Matt Sgro's 39 yard pass to Tyler Marroni. Evander Blue's 1 yard touchdown tied the game at 35-35.

Caesar Rodney performers: Cody Connell scored on a run of 1 yard qb Alex Kemp completed passes of 44 and 33 scored on a 1 yard qb sneak. 23 yard pass to Deshawn Schuler. Naquan Watkins 3 yard touchdown. 

1 yard qb plunge by Ray Jones Rakeim Woodland 23 carries for 127 yards for Hodgson T Jacob Shriner 14 carries for 123 yards and scored on an 85 yard run Derrick Groomes 25 yard pass to Aaron Hodson. 

The Panthers of Polytech High opened the season at 1-0 on Alex Winchester's 1 yard run Gabe Brown's 2 touchdown performance on a 4 yard run along with an 80 yard kickoff. Matt Williams 16 yard touchdown run. Mark Bonnie's 30 yard field goal defeated the Cougars of Delcastle by a 30-6 score. For Delcastle, Roger Heusner hit a 62 yard pass to Briayer Price. 

Tyrezz Walker 53 yard fake punt return and scored on a 64 yard run. Teammate Stefon Johnson's 2 touchdown runs of 2 and 90 yards, Sayvon Williams 81 yard touchdown pass to PJ Groome,Anthony McGriff's 18 yard touchdown paced the Bulldogs of Brandywine to a 39-7 win over the Vikings of St. Elizabeth. Khaadim Rider scored the St. Elizabeth's only touchdown on a 17 yard scamper. 

2 touchdown runs by Jimmy Carney 41 yards and scored on 2 touchdowns of 1 and 3 and teammate Danny DePaulo's 2 touchdown runs of 1 yard paced Wilmington Friends to a 35-0 win over the Titans of Moyer Academy. QB Jack Kempner went 4 completions out of 9 attempts for 62 yards and scored on a touchdown run of 1 yard

Football

9-14-13: The Hawks of St. Georges on touchdown runs by 22 yards by Taronn Selby along with a 2 yard run by twin brother Keyjuan Selby defeated the Vikings of Christiana by a 67-0 score.

9-13-13: Matt Smith's 30 yard pass to teammate Peter Smith along with an 18 yard touchdown run by Grier Wakefield and 12 yarder by Cole Wenzel and a Isiah Small 10 yarder paced the Hillers of Tower Hill to a 28-12 win over Perkiomen School.

Brendan McCloskey led St. Elizabeth throwing for 189 yards and 4 TD's. Khaadim Rider carried the ball 21 times for 98 yards and 1 TD.

Joe Carrow had 6 catches for 178 yards and 2 TD's to pace St. Elizabeth to a 38-21 win over Laurel.

TJ Brown's 2 touchdown runs of 2 yards along with Zach Whitehead's 10 yard pass to teammate Connor Hagan paced the Spartans of St. Marks to a 41-0 win over the Ravens of Sussex Tech.

Daniel Diggs' two touchdowns to lead Hodgson to a 40-10 victory over Mount Pleasant in a Blue Hen Conference Flight B game on Friday afternoon. Diggs put the Silver Eagles ahead to stay with an 18-yard touchdown run in the first quarter. After Leon Eckert booted a 31-yard field goal for the Green Knights, Hodgson exploded for 21 points in the second quarter to take control. Casey Lee scored on a 60-yard punt return while Rakeim Woodland scored on a 7-yard run and Diggs on a 2-yard run.

Hodgson added two more touchdowns in the third quarter on Raymond Jones' 14-yard run and Gerald Harmon's 3-yard run. Jahleel Thomas scored a fourth-quarter touchdown for Mount Pleasant on 54-yard run.

Indian River 14, Smyrna 0 Kiante Sturgis rushed for 124 yards and a touchdown for Indian River in a Henlopen South game.

Quarterback Spencer Murray got the Indians' scoring started in the first quarter when he hit Tim Roberts with a 75-yard touchdown pass. Murray went 6-for-9 for 150 yards.

Garrison Hines 10 yard run along with teammate Ryan Bellisimo's 14 yard pass to Donovan Simpson paced the St. Andrews Cardinals to a 16-12 win over Moyer Academy.

Delmar was defeated by John Carroll of Bel Air, MD by a 46-36 score. Delmar performers Robert Budd 29 yards field goal, Keon White Interception 7 yard return, Jordan Brown interception 32 yard return along with 12 carries for 32 yards, Shane Leatherbury 6/6 121 yards passing 2 TD's carried the ball 10 times for 68 yards scored 2 touchdowns and scored on a 35 yard punt return, Ernest Leatherbury 11 carries 72 yards 1 TD'

Football 9-20-13

After an 0-2 start the Yellowjackets registered their first win of the football season as they defeated the Christina School District rival Glasgow Dragons by a 22-21 win at Bob Hoffman Stadium in Newark on qb Benjamin Harrison's 5 completions out of 15 attempts for 81 yards threw a 21 yard touchdown pass to teammate Darril Chambers. Glasgow qb Lammont Brown 26 carries for 172 yards and scored touchdown runs of 18, 9 and 6.

After an 0-2 start with an overtime close loss to Salesianum to a sounding defeat vs. the top seed Cavaliers of Middletown by a 41-6 score, the 4th ranked Riders of Caesar Rodney found a way to win but again in the long run and defeated the Hodgson Silver Eagles by a 41-34 score on a touchdown run by Jordan Downes 7 yard run that broke a 34-34 tie after a qb Alex Kemp 55 yard bomb to to DeShawn Schuler. Hodgson Ray Jones 15 completions out of 27 attempts for 232 yards and contributed with 28 carries for 146 yards and 2 touchdowns.

Zach Whitehead's touchdown run of 44 yards and Taaron Brown's 52 yard td run along with Brandon Fogarty's 2 touchdown runs paced the Spartans of St. Marks as they defeated Sussex Central by a 33-13 score

Dayne Llamas' 97 yards rushing scored on an 18 yard touchdown run paced the Redskins of Conrad to a 30-6 win over Moyer Academy. Marquise Thorn added 64 yards along with a 1 yard touchdown run. 

In three quarters of play QB Darius Jones rushed 107 yds rushing and 100 yds passing with 2 rushing TD's of 2 and 4 yards and 1 passing TD of 44 yards to Jabree Purnell paced the Highlanders of McKean to a 40-0 win over the Rams of Dickinson. The defense of McKean was led by Markese Marlow at LB and Gage Lawhorne and Tug Hawkes on the line secured their second shutout of the year.

2 touchdown runs by Juan Saez of 6 and 8 yards, Tavon Scott's 25 yard pass to Zachary Stevenson and 22 yard to Dumaris Gooch along with 1 touchdown run by Juan Lopez of 45 yards and William Gibbs 8 yard td run paced the Vikings of Cape Henlopen to a 42-20 win over Indian River.

Clay Lloyd Smyrna Head Football Coach: "When we're three plays away 1 play vs. glasgow in a close loss along with the 2nd play vs. Indian River we finished things on defense and held Laurel on 3rd down and if you've watched the Indian River game last week our defense did the job as our offense didn't finish the job by put points on the board." "Brandon Bishop my qb has has done great job and is a leader for our squad and he's rallied the troops and it helped us a lot that sparked our squad today and you got to have the line to block, the receivers to catch along with our backs that did the job so there are three good performances to have." "Maurice Mcfoling has been on our varsity football squad for 3 years and what we are going to look for pending on how we played to we did well and to play well in our first win you tell the kids to improve that even in our losses I always tell the kids to do that from week 1 is that we are heading in the right direction and next week we play Polytech down in Woodside, DE and I hope our guys respond and to rally and I ask them to do that."

Glenn Phillips Laurel Football Coach: "Our young kids are starting to fight there no excuse about it as we are three games into the season and have put four quarters into our football squad." "We have some outstanding athletes and will be fine as in my running back in All Henlopen Conference running back Yemonte Auguste along with our receiver Jarrod Johnson, everything is starting to come together as we enter week three in our season as our offense goes through him (Jarrod Johnson)along with some of the players on the field these are the 3 games that they played on AJ Luberski to Jarrett Johnson this is AJ Luberski's first varsity start at QB and did a good job." Next we play Delaware Military Academy ranked 5th in the state." "As I told my kids when you come out and play football this season this is the tough schedule that you play."

The Eagles of Smyrna registered their first win of the contest on 2 Dante Ritchie's 67 yard touchdown run and a 1 yard run (10 carries for 134 yards)QB Brandon Bishop's (9 completions out of 17 attempts for 156 yards)2 touchdown passes to Maurice McFoling Nichols for 26 yards and 15 yards to Othneal Edmond along with a Aaron Wilson (8 carries for 56 yards) 8 yard run defeated the Bulldogs of Laurel by a 35-14 score.

Laurel in defeat was led by Yemour Auguste 1 touchdown run of 1 yard along with qb AJ Lubanski's (8 completions out of 19 attempts for 122 yards) 48 yard pass to Jarrett Johnson (6 receptions for 100 yards). 

9-21-13-Football 

Jack Malloy ran for 181 yds and 2 touchdowns on 13 carries. JM Nocket had 2 interceptions including a 65 yard interception return. Tanner McIlrath had 74 yards on 10 carries. The Auks piled up 364 yards on the ground while gaining their first win of the season as they defeated Tatnall 28-8.

Logan Wescott ran for 64 yards and 9 completions for 131 yards in the Blue Raider's 24-12 win over the Quakers. Shedrick Rayford had 11 carries for 61 yards and Brent Adams averaged 58.2 yards per kickoff. For Friends, Jack Kempner was 8/18 with a touchdown completion. Stephen Maguire rushed 23 times for 72 yards and Jonathan Gardner recovered a fumble.

3 touchdown runs by Taronn Selby along with 2 touchdown runs by twin brother Keyjuan Selby paced the Hawks of St. Georges to a 49-18 over Mt. Pleasant.

Marcellus Pack's 2 touchdown runs of 80 and 5 yards sparks 7th ranked Dover High to win over 3rd ranked St. Marks

By David A. Willauer-Contributing Editor-St. Marks High School-Milltown, DE: In a key Division I Non Conference football that was held at St. Marks High, the 7th ranked Dover Senators under first year coach Dante Jones did what it took to take care of the highly ranked and previously undefeated Spartans of St. Marks as they pulled a rabbit out of the hat with a good running game as they pulled off one of the biggest upsets behind the 2 touchdown runs by running back Marcellus Pack's (8 carries for 82 yards) 80 yard run and 5 yard run of the day along with teammate Raekwon Bogues (8 carries for 90 yards) scored on a 2 yard run 3rd ranked Spartans by a 20-12 score. Sophomore Tristan Harris started in place of regular qb Nicholas Spadafino after battling the flu as he completed 2 passes out of 3 attempts for 23 yards. 

The Spartans got their only touchdown as Brandon Fogarty scored on a 1 yard run put St. Marks up 10-3 along with Jeff Richards 21 yard field goal to put St. Marks within 7-3. Zachary Whitehead 8 completions out of 22 attempts for 71 yards. TJ Brown led all rushers 22 carries for 136 yards 

Dante Jones Dover High School First Year Coach: " We stepped up with adversity and that's something you can't pay for as I take my hats off to my qb Triston Harris got the job done as our squad is a different that group that has worked so hard, we played hard and some of the kids that don't want to play both ways but this game is over and we have the goal to win." Marcellus Pack did well on his 2 touchdown runs today give the credit to our offensive line as they've done the job and he scored ahd has played well for us all year." "On our last touchdown our defense did the job and keyed in on Zack Whitehead as he fumbled as we got the ball back Raekwon Bogues 2 yard touchdown has worked hard for us our secondary worked hard and I'm proud of my squad for pulling this out."

Dover improves to 3-1 will travel next Friday to take on Sussex Tech in Georgetown, DE while St. Marks falls to 3-1 and will host Delaware Military Academy in a homecoming game

Football Recaps

Friday, September 27, 2013

Junior wide receiver Quadree Henderson scored five touchdowns - four through the air and one on the ground - to lead A.I. du Pont to a 49-20 victory over St. Elizabeth in nonconference action on Friday night at Baynard Stadium.

Henderson scored on a 74-yard run to put the Tigers ahead to stay at 7-6 in the first quarter, then caught touchdown passes of 12, 88, 11 and 50 yards from quarterback Freddie Heard. Henderson made six catches on the night for 190 yards.

Heard went 7 for 12 for 205 yards and also scored a touchdown on an 8-yard run. Aaron Limberry also scored for A.I. on a 58-yard run. St. Elizabeth quarterback Brendan McCloskey threw touchdown passes of 27 yards to Joseph Schiavoni and 18 yards to Joey Carrow.

Indian River 19, Milford 7DAGSBORO - Quarterback Spencer Murray passed for 101 yards and rushed for 70 more to lead Indian River to victory over Milford.

Murray went 8 for 15 and tossed a 12-yard touchdown pass to Jake Troublefield. Murray also ran for an 8-yard touchdown. KiAnte Surgis rushed for 105 yards for Indian River. Harry Wilgus scored Indian River's first TD on a 5-yard run in the second quarter.

Vance Daniels scored Milford's lone touchdown on a 60-yard run in the fourth quarter.

Middletown 47, Glasgow 6 GLASGOW - Quarterback Darius Wade threw four touchdowns and ran for another as Middletown cruised to a victory over Glasgow in Blue Hen Flight A play.

Wade got the Cavalier scoring started with a 21-yard run in the first quarter, then fired touchdown strikes of 42 and 41 yards to Chris Godwin and 36 yards to Dennis Berger. Godwin also scored on a 48-yard interception return. Khalil Williams added a 72-yard touchdown for the Cavaliers.

Lammot Brown scored the lone Dragon touchdown on a 2-yard run in the second quarter.

The Riders of Caesar Rodney improves their record to 2-2 on touchdown runs by Naquan Watkins of 99 yards and Dominique Dorsey of 87 yards defeated the Vikings of Cape Henlopen by a 35-14.

In a Sussex County rival contest the Ravens of Sussex Tech on qb Jamont Matthews long pass to Travis Quillen with 2:32 left on the clock defeated the Golden Knights of Sussex Central by a 28-27 score.

Saturday, September 29, 2013 Football Recaps-Matt Sgro 6 completions out of 12 attempts threw a 38 yard pass to Pittsburgh bound Brian O Neill Troy Reeder's 2 yard touchdown run paced the Sals of Salesianum to a 49-7 win over Glen Mills School of PA.

Reggie Carroll 234 yards on 23 carries scored 3 touchdown runs of 48, 11 and 53 yards paced the Colonials of William Penn to a 28-7 win over the Jaguars of Appoquimink.

Stefon Johnson's 3 touchdown runs of 2, 3 and 3 yards paced the Bulldogs of Brandywine to a 31-8 win over the Highlanders of McKean. Tyrezz Walker also scored on a 20 yard run for the Bulldogs.

Matt Smith's three touchdown pass along with 2 touchdown runs and rushed for 94 yards paced the Hillers of Tower Hill at 4-0 to a 35-0 win over the Hornets of Tatnall.

Jack Malloy and Connor Spiedel scored touchdowns to pace the Auks of Archmere to a 42-0 win over Moyer Academy.

Maret School from Washington DC came back from a 22-10 deficit in the third quarter defeated St. Andrews to a 23-22 win.

Chaz Sydnor scored two touchdowns on a 90 yard kickoff return and a 6 yard pass from from Earnest Austin paced the Howard Wildcats to a 26-20 win over the Green Knights of Mt. Pleasant.

Brycen Alleyne scored 2 touchdowns to paced the Raiders of Concord to their first win of the season as they defeated the Force of Charter 12-7. 

Football 10-4-13

2 touchdowns of 2 and 7 yards by Carter Cuccazella, 1 touchdown run of 8 yards by Harrison Quimby, 2 touchdown runs of 1 and 18 yards by Samuel Murphy paced the Hillers of Tower Hill to a 48-8 win over George School.

1 touchdown runs of 28 yards by Marcellus Pack, 2 touchdown runs of 1 and 72 yards by Nick Spadafino paced the Senators of Dover to a 39-27 win over the Ravens of Sussex Tech. For ST, Xavier Drummond scored 2 touchdown runs of 72 yards along with a 95 yard KOR.

Darius Wade's 89, 23 and 9 yards paced the Cavaliers of Middletown to a 42-0 win over the Cougars of Delcastle.

Tarez White's 1 touchdown run of 2 yards along with pass receptions of 65 and 23 yards from Amontay Clanton paced the Sussex Central Golden Knights to a 43-6 win over the Eagles of Smyrna.

The Highlanders stormed back from a 12 point deficit with less than 5:00 left in the game to defeat Wilmington Friends in a frenzied 4th quarter.
      Darius Jones connected with Jorge Rodriguez for a 45 yard touchdown with 4:02 left on the clock. After recovering the ensuing onsides kick the Highlanders fumbled the ball back to the Quakers. McKean had a big defensive stop with 1:40 left and forced Friends to punt. McKean then drove to the 6yd yard line and Darius Jones ran in the game winning touchdown with 7 seconds left.

The Highlanders were led by Jaleel Heyward's 145 rushing yards to go with two touchdowns. QB Darius Jones rushed 145 yds and two TDs and threw for 205 and another score. Markese Marlow had 11 tackles for the McKean defense.

10-5-13 Football

St. Georges bounced back today with a 42-6 victory. Taronn Selby lead the Hawks rushing attack with 10 carries for 120 yds and 2 TDs. Keyjuan Selby added 2 TDs and Tymiere Griffin had 1 TD, as well. The St. Georges defense also stepped up and caused 5 turnovers including an INT for a TD by Taronn Selby. St. Georges improves to 4-1 with the win.

Nycere Walker touchdown runs of 29 and 22 yards along with a pass reception from qb Sayvon Willis of 12 yards paced the Brandywine Bulldogs to a 56-20 win over the Vikings of Christiana. Stefon Johnson also contributed with touchdown runs of 6 and 32 yards.

Jashawn Johnson's 29 yard pass to teammate Justice Grimes along with a 2 yard touchdown run paced the Green Knights of Mt. Pleasant to a 21-14 win over the Rams of Dickinson.

The Conrad Redskins on Raymond Sanchez rushed for 104 yards on 8 carries. Dayne Llamas rushed for 2 touchdowns runs of 30 and 5 yards along with 54 yards rushing. QB Tyler Wilson passed 8 for 12 for 151 yards and 1 touchdown pass and rushed for 1 touchdown run for 2 yards and Chris Johns caught 4 passes for 104 yards and 1 touchdown run of 67 yards defeated the St. Andrews Cardinals by a 29-28 score .

Football 10-12-13

Six different players scored for St. Andrew's as they improved to 2-3 on the season as they defeated George School by a 38-0 score. Garrett Hanrahan began the day with a fumble recovery in the Saints' own end zone. The defense forced five turnovers, including a 47 yard interception return for touchdown by Joseph Hines.

Austin Coughenour was 8/14 for 150 yds 1 td and a 2 pt conversion, while also rushing for 1 td as the Raiders jumped out to a 26-0 halftime lead to defeat Delcastle 34-13. Elijah Davis had 5 catches for 98 and 1 td and a 2 pt conv. He also rushed twice for 27 yds. Ahmere Dorsey connected on two 2nd half touchdown passes to lead Delcastle

Darius Wade's 3 touchdown passes of 38 yards to Dennis Berger, 2 passes of 78 and 35 yards to Richard Godwin paced the Cavaliers of Middletown to a 29-7 win over the William Penn Colonials.

Football 10-11-13

Jamont Matthews 2 touchdown runs of 65 and 1 yard along with a 41 yard run by Xavier Drummond paced the Ravens of Sussex Tech to a 27-0 win over the Smyrna Eagles. 

Christian Conaty blocked two punts and returned another blocked punt for a touchdown for the Auks. Jack Malloy scored two touchdowns and Francis McVey had 79 yards and a score for the Auks as they defeated Appoquimink by a 38-7 score.

2 touchdown runs of 50 and 12 yards by Jermaine Knotts, Matt Smith's 3 yard touchdown run along with an 18 yard pass to Peter Smith paced the Hillers of Tower Hill to a 35-0 win over the Vikings of Christiana. 

Football 10-18-13

Darius Wade 12-15-193 yards connected on a 31 yard pass to Chris Godwin, Chris Godwin's 49 and 65 yard punt returns for touchdowns paced the 7-0 Middletown Cavaliers to a 50-13 win over the Tigers of AI DuPont 4-3 3-2.

Derek Groomes 6 completions out of 12 yards for 102 yards threw passes of 25 and 16 yards to Aaron Hudson and 34 yards to Dennis Robinson paced the Buccaneers of Caravel to a 42-6 win over Glasgow 

Marcellus Pack' 14 carries for 166 yards and 2 touchdown runs paced the Dover Senators to a 42-7 win over the Golden Knights of Sussex Central. 

2 field goals of 35 and 29 by Kyle Eckert along with touchdown runs by Jashawn Johnson and Tavio Cone paced the Green Knights of Mt. Pleasant to a 20-6 win over the Bulldogs of Brandywine. 

2 touchdown runs of 46 and 10 yards by Jaleen Heyward along with 2 Darius Jones runs of 9 yards for a touchdown along with a 70 yard interception paced the Highlanders of McKean to a 42-0 win over Conrad. 

Jordan Wescott's 19 yard run along with a touchdown pass of 25 yards to Dajon Emory paced the Woodbridge Blue Raiders to a 21-18 win over Lake Forest. Blaiae Rayford also returned a 55 yard fumble return for the Blue Raiders. 

Jordan Brown's 5 yard run along with Shane Leatherberry's 73 yard punt return paced the Delmar Wildcats to a 26-7 win over the Blue Jays of Seaford. 

Austin Lockett 2 touchdown runs of 22 and 65 yards along with teammate Keith Stubbs 2 touchdown runs of 2 and 65 yards paced the Newark Yellowjackets to a 42-10 win over the Jaguars of Appoquimink. 

1 touchdown run of 5 yards by Trevon Milton along with a John Flamer 8 yarder paced the Lake Forest Spartans to a 14-0 win over Laurel. 

Dylan Keller's 23 yard field goal along with 2 touchdown runs by Alajuwon Austin paced the Smyrna Eagles to a 17-12 win over the Howard Wildcats. 

QB Spencer Murray's 33 carries for 159 yards scored 2 touchdown runs of 3 and 5 yards paced the Indians of Indian River to a 17-7 win over the Blue Raiders of Woodbridge. 

10-19-13

Football Recaps by Dave

The Hawks of St. Georges have improved their record to 6-1 as Tymiere Griffin scored 2 touchdown runs of 20 and 30 yards as they defeated the Rams of Dickinson by a 42-6 score.

Jack Kempner ran 2 touchdowns and passed for another in the Quaker's first conference win over the Hornets of Tatnall by a 42-7 score. Jake Erskine ran 8 carries for 69 yards, including a touchdown, and caught an interception. Jonathan Gardner also caught an interception and Andrew Jaworski recovered a fumble. Jamie Harper was 5/5 on PATs.

Brian Rogers was 7-9 for 166 yds and 1 touchdown in the first quarter and ran for another. Jack Malloy rushed for two scores for the Auks of Archmere as they defeated Conrad 54-2.

Darius Jones had 118 yds rushing with 1 TD and 70 yds passing and another score to pace the McKean Highlanders to a 12-6 win over the Vikings of Christiana. The defense was led by LB Markese Marlowe and DL Tug Hawkes and Malick Diallo.

Football 10-25-13

Jeff Richards 38 yard field goal with 50.6 seconds left paced the Spartans of St. Marks to a 19-17 win over Caesar Rodney. TJ Brown led the Spartans on the day with 18 carries on 53 yards. Naquan Watkins led the Riders with 8 times for 85 yards. 

Logan Wescott's 3 touchdown performances of 45 and 1 yard along with a pass to teammate 38 yards to Anthony Jefferson paced the Raiders of Woodbridge to a 35-7 win over Milford. 

Dennis Robinson's 2 touchdown runs of 30 and 40 yards paced the Bucs of Caravel Academy to a 42-0 win over Silver Oak Academy of MD. 

Troy Reeder's 118 yards rushing and scored on a touchdown run of 67 yards along with qb Matt Sgro's 45 yard pass to Chad Harbaugh. Xander Blue scored on a 9 yard run and paced the Sals of Salesianum to a 38-0 win over Delaware Military Academy. 

10-26-13 Football

Jack Malloy's 32 carries for 204 yards scored on touchdown runs of 1,13 and 34 yards paced the Auks of Archmere to a 30-8 win over Lake Forest to improve their record to 5-3.

Earnest Austin's 11 completions out of 18 attempts for 157 yards connected on a 28 yard pass to teammate Chaz Sydnor to pace the Wildcats of Howard 54 seconds left in the game as they defeated the Dickinson Rams by an 18-14 score. Chaz Sydnor seals the victory with an interception with 28 seconds left in the game. Earnest Austin 11-18 157 yds, 2 TDs. Gerald Wiggins 16 carries 79 yards. Chaz Sydnor 8 catches, 128 yards, 4 tackles 1 tackle for a loss 1 interception. 

St. Georges improved to 7-1 with a 62-25 conference win over the Bulldogs. Scooter Selby lead the rushing attack with 112 yards on the ground and 2 TDs. Zach Wright threw for 113 yds and 1 TD. St. Georges defense caused 5 turnovers including two interceptions for TDs by Scooter Selby, which gave him 5 TDs on the day.

Jimmy Carney ran for 147 yards and 3 touchdowns to lead the Friends to a 42-16 conference win over St Andrews. Jake Erskine ran for 140 yards and 2 touchdowns and Jonathan Gardner recovered 2 fumbles.

Samuel Murphy's 5 touchdown runs of 73, 42, 10, caught a 10 yard pass from qb Matt Smith 1 yard and 58 yard run paced the Hillers of Tower Hill to a 48-12 win over the Redskins of Conrad. 

High School Football Recaps by Dave for Friday and Saturday, November 8th and 9th 2013

Friday, November 8th 2013 Football Recaps-3 touchdown runs of 66, 90 and 30 yards along with qb Matt Smith's 43 yard pass to Peter Smith paced the Hillers of Tower Hill in the second oldest rivalry in the state of Delaware, oldest rivalry in New Castle County as they defeated their Independent Conference rival Friends Quakers by a 28-7 score. Tower Hill Finishes their regular season at 10-0 and will await a birth in the state tournament Division II for the second time.

Jordan Brown's 2 yard run, 4 Shane Leatherberry touchdown runs of 1, 1, 6 and 5 yards paced the Delmar Wildcats to a 33-28 win over the Woodbridge Blue Raiders.

Thomas Camper had 2 interceptions including one for a TD as Concord defeated Newark 41-6. Matt Mellete rushed for 2TD and his brother Mark for 1 as the Raiders jumped out to a 27-0 halftime lead. Austin Coughenour connected with Elijah Davis on a 35 yd TD pass in the 2nd quarter.Mark Mellette's td run to end the half was set up by a 75 yd int return by safety Elijah Davis. Newark struck quickly with a 64 ydTD run by Eric Wright to open the second half. Concord quickly answered with a 73 yd 14 play drive capped off by Matt Mellettes 4 yd run. Brian Dennis would cap off the scoring with a 45 yd TD run in the 4th quarter. Concord finishes the year at 6-4, while Newark drops to 3-7

St. Georges finished the season strong with a 50-20 win over McKean. St. Georges posted 301 yards on the ground, lead by Deuce Selby with 5 carries for 78 yards. Zach Wright added 105 yards in the air with 2 touchdowns. Logan Gilbert added a 90 yard interception return on defense. The Hawks improve to 9-1 with the victory.

In a battle for the Tech Bowl, the Sussex Tech Ravens on Patrick Griffin's 25 yard run, qb Justin Hill's 2 td passes of 10 yards to Jamont Matthews and 8 yards to Patrick Griffin defeated their vo tech rival Polytech to a 35-28 score. 

Drew Kobasa connected with Oliver Campbell for a 16 yard touchdown pass, their second of the game, with 27 seconds left to give Tatnall a 21-16 win over St. Andrews for the Cannon Award. Tatnall's Sam Ragland rushed for over 200 yards, incuding a 95 yard touchdown scamper in the second quarter. For St. Andrew's, Donovan Simpson rushed for 114 yards, including a 66 yard score, and Anthony Holley added a 60 yard touchdown run.

Christian Conaty intercepted 3 St Elizabeth's passes and Jack Malloy had 78 yds and a touchdown for the Auks as they defeated the Vikings of St. Elizabeth by a 13-8 score. Conor Furey had 16 tackles including 10 unassisted for the Auks Defense.

This post was edited on 11/9

• July 8, 2014 7:59 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

By David A. Willauer-Contributing Writer-University of Delaware-Bob Carpenter Center-Newark, DE-Monday, August 26, 2013-After spring practice along with day and night summer practices behind Delaware Field House along with students moving into dorms and houses throughout campus on Sunday, August 25th to Tuesday, August 27, 2013 when classes start a new era will begin on Thursday night  August 29 that will decend on Tubby Raymond Field at Delaware Stadium as new head football coach Dave Brock after assistant coaching positions at Salisbury, Western Connecticut, Hofstra, Temple, North Carolina, Kansas State, Rutgers, makes his debut in Blue Hen football history as they take on the Dolphins of Jacksonville in a 7:00 pm kickoff.   

The Hens return 19 starters from last years squad including 10 on offense-Key Returnees
      (RB Co Captain Andrew Pierce, sr[career rushing 747 carries for 3637 yards 34 touchdowns and receptions are 79 catches for 426 yards 4 touchdowns longest 34] QB Trent Hurley[185 completions out of 294 attempts for 1964 yards-transfer from Bowling Green University], jr, WR Nick Boyle, jr, OL Ben Curtis, jr, OL JD Dzarko, jr, OL, Brandon Heath, sr, WR Michael Johnson, jr OL Bobby Kennedy, sr, WR Mike Milburn, sr WR Rob Jones) 

8 on defense (DB Travis Hawkins,sr, RT, Zack Kerr sr, LE Laith Wolfschleger,sr, LB Patrick Calloway, jr, DB, Jake Giusti,sr, DL, Vince Hollerman, so, DL, Logan Schultz, so  ) and 1 specialist in field goal kicker Sean Baner. 

Dave Brock Head Football Coach at Delaware: "Since I arrive here at Delaware, our staff evaluated the squad and felt that we have more depth on offense as we're looking for playmakers, as I stress and talk to the individuals about success and if you want to be a playmaker, you have to learn to make plays but don't talk about what someone can and can't do as a squad but we're trying to figure out what our responsibilities are as I'm very enthusiatic in training at what I saw this summer as our squad made plays by running down the field going after the football, I felt that we'll do that in our team practices throughout the season, this is everywhere where I've been coaching along with helping the players with their confidence which comes from working along with producing over the situation, the opponent and when you get a special player who is going to play, you be and play like that player." 

2013 University of Delaware Football Schedule
      August 29 vs. Jacksonville 7:30 pm
      September 7 vs. Delaware State 3:30 pm
      14 at Navy 3:30 pm
      21 Wagner (Freshman Friends and Family Day/High School Band Day)6:00 pm
      28 James Madison(2003 National Champion Reunion)
      October 5 at Maine TBA
      12 Albany (Homecoming/1963 National Champion Reunion)
      26 at Rhode Island 12:00 pm
      November 2 at Towson 7:00 pm
      9 William and Mary (Parents and Family Weekend) 3:00 pm
      16 Richmond (Hall of Fame Weekend) 12:00 pm
      23 at Villanova at PPL Park in Chester, PA TBA 
      30 NCAA FCS 1st round games 
      Dec 7 NCAA FCS 2nd round
      13-14 NCAA FCS Quarter Final Round
      20-21 NCAA FCS Semi Finals
      January 4 NCAA FCS Finals at Frisco, TX

• July 8, 2014 8:11 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Report of the University of Delaware 2013 Football Team from Training Camp to Media Day-Dave Brock ready for the season

By David A. Willauer-Contributing Editor-Sunday, August 11, 2013-Tubby Raymond Field at Delaware Stadium-Newark, DE: From the training camps before the real season Dave Brock new head coach is very anxious to get the 2013 season underway before the Hens opened up on August 29, 2013 against Jacksonville University from Florida. Key returnees from the 2012 squad that will play this year are jr QBTrent Hurley, who didn't play spring ball due to an injury, sr running back Andrew Pierce who is ready for another outstanding game, sr wide receiver Rob Jones a senior wide receiver along with sr Travis Hawkins at defensive back. The new offense that Coach Brock will be installing is a Multiple Offense where they will lineup in a 1 back 2 back or 0 back system along with a mixture of tricks and surprises.

Dave Brock New Head Football Coach at the University of Delaware on his thoughts at training camp: "We're off to a great start by practicing hard along with energy and enthusiasm along with being right in the heart of things for our squad." "After yesterday's scrimmage and watching tapes, you evaluate and saw some guys make some key plays that were accurate and very exciting along with our squad that want to produce right and to make sure they do their assignments. "

Both our QB's in Trent Hurley and Trevor Sasek both did well in yesterdays scrimmage and asked them to do a lot of different plays that they want to use and was segmented but you didn't have to transition from one end of the area to the other they handled the things well we have moved around and played situational football all the way through I was pleased with them and did a very nice job."

"After being named the new head coach at Delaware, I wanted to make sure to hire the right people that I feel that can assist our football squad to have in the CAA league and to be successful both offense and defensive coordinators who are going to call the plays for us." "Our defenses are going to be different this year but it is still Delaware's defense and will have the ability to create the kind of plays as we have 3 to 5 coaches in the pressbox on game day later on before the opener we will select the captains later."

(Please add players and their quotes to whom I have interviewed)

Key players that are back from last year are Travis Hawkins at defensive back qb Trent Hurley, wr Rob Jones and 1000 yard rusher Andrew Pierce this is what they had said about the training camp.

Travis Hawkins UD defensive back: "Our squad has a mean front 7 what we have to do on the back end spring season prepared us a lot with anew coaching staff with the expectations that are we jumped are the bandwagon and we're raring to go." "Our defense will run a 4-3 formation and being with Coach Brock is that he is funny at times and can be real hard he is all about winning that is what we like this year." "Jacksonville has speed coming on August 29, 2013 we will be raring to go."

Trent Hurley UD returning qb: "Last year we were disappointed as we finished with a 5-6 mark but we held up at the end but to go up on a high note I was injured during the spring season but our squad and the new coaching staff came together I had to learn the playbook as we will be running various formation of the Multiple Offense where we learn various formation with qb under center along with the shotgun, in this formation we throw short and intermediate passes along with the 1 back 2 back formation, we do everything I can't put the formation into words." I can't want until we play Jacksonville on August 29th."

Rob Jones UD returning wide receiver: "We're looking to have a great year training camp and we're working on the timing to get the offense working by ironing out the little details with our quarterbacks, wide receivers along with our lineman so we should be on the same page." "Our spring football practices I had to work on more concentrate lining up on the ball along with focusing on my breaks staying low on catching the ball making sure that my shoulders more freedom in our route. "Coach Devine is my offensive coach as he is in charge of the offensive line coach making each player accountable and doing your job to make things together this is all about us right now."

Andrew Pierce University of Delaware's running back: "I'm having a great camp right now as we're picking up with the pace of our offense and will do a good job." At yesterday's controlled scrimmage our defense did well as they dominated up front along with being one of the best in the country." "For me I have to improve myself in order to get better and pick up the tempo where our offense and defense have to do our things in order for us to prepare for the 29th of August." "In spring ball we learned the new multiple offense I did very well in the game but didn't get a lot of yardage in the game but did my job the Multiple is different as we're going to attack, throw down the field for our other teams in the CAA have to prepare as we will be ready with our offense." "Spring training camp has been going well for me it is good to be healthy and to be a camp for 100 percent and we are ready for Jacksonville as soon as the light switch turns on we're in the midst of August 29th and as a captain I am going to be ready."

"Sean Baner will be a major straight a very experienced kicker who has the tools to kick long and short field goals." "You have to have opportunities I have studied that he has been in the past that he is taking care of his leg along with his body." "For the playoffs you have to win enough game when I was at Hofstra we won 7, 8 or 9 games and sometimes didn't get selected for the playoffs and if we take care of our business we will be in the playoffs we are looking for 1-0 on the 29th of August."

• July 11, 2014 12:03 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

More info to come

Alexis I DuPont-Head Coach Zeb Blum-
      Returning Players sr Quadree Henderson, wr, 2013 Second Team All State/1st team All Blue Hen Conference sr. Freddie Heard, 2013 2nd Team All Blue Hen Conference,qb
      Jamar Garfield, sr,  3rd Team All 2013 Conference Guard, 

Appoquinimink-Head Coach Brian Timpson-1st year
      Sean Connally, sr 3rd Team All 2013 Conference at LB
      Ron Tuck, jr. 3rd Team All 2013 Conference.
      Kevin Banning, 3rd team 2013 All Conference, 

Archmere-Head Coach Jerry Ambrogi-32 years Career Record-91-66-2013 Record 7-3
      Jim Nocket-sr-2013 All Catholic-First Team Offense
      Kenan Hilyard, Sr. 2013 All Catholic-First Team Defense
      Matt Gallagher, 2nd team defense 2013 All Catholic 

Brandywine-Head Coach-Tom Wood-2nd year
      Stefan Johnson-sr-lb-2013 3rd Team All state and 2013 First Team All Conference
      Cody Hoesterey, sr. Center, 2nd team 2013 All Blue Hen and 3rd team All Conference at dt
      Rob Davenport, 2nd Team All Blue Hen for 2013, G
      PJ Groome, sr, 2013 All Blue Hen 3rd Team wr and 2nd team All Conference at db
      Chris Schiavi, sr,  2013 All Blue Hen 1st Team Punter and 3rd Team All Conference Kicker  

Cape Henlopen-Head Coach Bill Collick-
      Tyre Maull, OT 2nd Team 2013 All Conference
      Devin Miller, 2013 2nd Team All Conference, sr
      Jason Wiberg, sr, 2013 All Conference 2nd Team P
      Brandon Nixon, 2013 Honorable Mention 

Charter-Head Coach Tyran Rice-7 years-Career Record 20-50-
      2013 Blue Hen Flight A All Conference Matthew Oliver, sr, quarterback
      Robbie Johnson, 2013 Blue Hen Flight A All Conference

Christiana Head Coach Virgil Rush-2nd year
      2013 3rd Team All Blue Hen Nyshon McCall, sr, rb

Concord-Head Coach-Greg Mitchell-1st year-
      Brycen Alleyne, sr 1st Team All Blue Hen
      RB-Zach Zupan, sr G 2nd team All Blue Hen Conference for 2013
      Avery Roberts, so, First Team All 2013 Conference at Lb

Delaware Military Academy Head Coach Michael Ryan-1st year-sr.
      Juwann Morrow-2013 3rd Team All State kb

Delcastle-Head Coach Cordie Greenlea-
      Roger Heusner, 2013 3rd team Honorable Mention All Conference Back, 

Delmar Head Coach David Hearn
      Logan Thomas, 2nd Team All Conference 2013 at db
      Shane Leatherberry, 2013 2nd team All Purpose All Conference
      Dillon Fletcher, jr, Honorable Mention, 2013 All Conference,

Dickinson-Head Coach Donovan Alderman-
      2013 3rd Team Blue Hen-Daryl Smith, fb, sr, 

Dover-Head Coach Dante Jones
      Jordan Hutchins, 2013 2nd Team All Conference,sr 
      jr, Devlin Lockland, 2013 2nd Team All Henlopen at DB

Glasgow Head Coach Shannon Riley-6 years-Career Record 34-37-2013 Record-5-5
      2013 Flight A All Conference-Lammot Brown, sr halfback.
      Dominique Drewery,sr  t, 2013 Second Team All Blue Hen Conference
      Michael Helton, sr 3rd team All Conference 2013 Back

Hodgson-Head Coach Frank Moffett-7 years-90-33-Defending State II Football Champions-2013 Record-8-2

2013 All State-First Team All Conference-Ray Jones, qb and de,
      Jake Jones, Center, 3rd team 2013 All Conference Blue Hen,
      Dwight Chavis, 3rd Team 2013 All Blue Hen G, 

Howard-Head Coach-Dan Ritter-
      2013 All Blue Hen Earnest Austin, qb, jr, 3rd team,
      Raekwon Wells, sr. 3rd Team,
      Jeremiah Bluntson, jr, G,
      Zaire Allen, sr,  2nd Team All Conference for 2013,
      Derek Williams, sr First Team All 2013 Blue Hen lb,
      Trevon Bordrick, so, 2nd team at DB 2013 All Conference,
      Marques Wells, 3rd team 2013 All Conference at DT,
      Korey Kent, 3rd team 2013 All Conference db 

Indian River-Head Coach Ray Steele-
      Kiante Sturgis, 2nd Team All 2013 Conference, rb,
      Spencer Sturla, sr. 2nd Team 2013 All Henlopen, de, 

Lake Forest-Head Coach Freddie Johnson-
      John Flamer,RB and DE Sr 2nd team 2013 All State and 1st Team All Conference,
      Andrew Eckenrode, sr, 2nd Team All 2013 Conference OG,
      Bryan Thomson, 2013 2nd Team All Conference at LB, 

Laurel-Glenn Phillips, Jr-3rd year at Laurel-8-12-2013 Record 2-8
      Jarrett Johnson-1st Team 2013 All Henlopen Conference TE
      Yermour Auguste, 1st Team rb All Henlopen South sr
      Reggie Green-1st team sr Defensive Back 2013 All Conference
      Dallas Moore, 2013 All Henlopen Conference Defensive Tackle
      Amari Cannon so, Linebackers, 2nd team All Henlopen Conference 2013,
      2013 Honorable Mention Ethan Cahall, sr, 

Middletown-Head Coach-Mark Delpercio-
      sr. Erich Schneider, lb/g, 2013 2nd Team All State/1st Team All Blue Hen Conference,
      Markel Weldon, T 2013 First Team All Blue Hen Conference,
      Peter Cox, 2nd team 2013 All Conference lb,
      Isiah Mitchell, jr,3rd Team All 2013 Blue Hen Back

Milford-Head Coach-Mike Tkach-
      Junior Lamar, 2nd Team 2013 All Henlopen,
      Matthew Viromontes, 2nd Team All 2013 at dt,
      Mt. Pleasant-Head Coach-Randy Thomas-
      Nijel Nynonium, 2nd team 2013 All Conference at DB, 
      Newark-Butch Simpson-
      Peter Suski, sr. se 2013 3rd Team All Blue Hen,
      Adrian Ellis, sr. 2013 3rd Team All Conference, 

Polytech-Head Coach John Pierce-
      Elliott Outten, DE 2013 1st Team All Henlopen,
      John Pierce, sr, OT/LB 2013 2nd Team All Henlopen

St. Georges-Head Coach-JD Maull-
      Taronn Selby, sr, db and rb 2013 2nd Team All State,
      2013 2nd Team All State-Kick Returner-Keyjuan Selby,
      Tyler Odrick, sr, G 1st Team All Blue Hen for 2013,
      Stefan Woodruff, jr, 2nd Team All 2013 Blue Hen at DT,
      Logan Gilbert, jr, 2nd Team All Conference 2013 at LB,
      Tommy Holloway, 3rd Team 2013 All Conference DE

Salesianum-Head Coach-Billy DiNardo-
      2013 1st Team All Catholic-Zach Warren, g
      Kyle Cathers, jr, DT  2013 2nd team All Catholic-
      Nick Szep, sr. T Sean Smith, sr.
      K, Connor Freeborn, sr. de,
      Colby Reeder, db, jr

St. Marks-Head Coach-John Wilson-Career Record at St. Marks-72-29-2013 Record 7-3
      2013 All State sr.2013 First Team All Catholic Offense Foster Holland, T
      John Dougherty, T, 2nd Team All Catholic Offense and 2nd team 2013 defense
      WR Rhett Schweizer, sr. All Conference Catholic
      Markquise Normand, sr. 2013 All Catholic 2nd team defense

St. Elizabeth-Head Coach-Joe Aviola-18-12 at DMA-1st year at St. Elizabeth-
      Brandon McCloskey, KR,2013  First Team All Catholic Defense,
      WR Joey Carrow, jr, 2013 2nd team All Catholic Offense,
      Dante Tiberi, All Catholic 2nd team defense sr, 

Seaford-Head Coach-Marc Dickerson-
      Kadeem Hughes 2nd Team All 2013 Henlopen Conference sr.
      Steven Holleger, 2nd Team All 2013 Henlopen, sr, de,
      Amiri Jones, Honorable Mention, 2013 All Conference 

Smyrna-Mike Judy-1st year as head coach-
      Amontay Clanton-First Team 2013 All Henlopen North -
      Cody Biddle-2nd Team All 2013 Henlopen North-
      Cody Biddle, sr, 2nd team 2013 All Conference at LB,
      Jeff Campbell, 2013 All Conference Honorable Mention 

Sussex Central-Head Coach-John Wells
      JD Messick, SR 2013 First Team All Conference
      Anthony Clanton, 1st Team Henlopen 2013 at db
      James Jenkins, sr 2nd Team All 2013 Henlopen at DE,
      Myles Vernet, so Honorable Mention 

Sussex Tech-Mark Quillen-2nd year Career Record 5-5-
      RB/LB Kani Kane, sr First Team 2013 Henlopen North-3rd Team All State-
      P-Ryan Seeley-2013 First Team All Henlopen North-
      Scott Wolk, LB-2013 2nd Team All Henlopen Linebackers,
      Ryan Seely, sr, P 2013 1st Team All Henlopen,
      Xavier Drummond, 2013 All Conference Honorable Mention
      Tatnall-Head Coach-Jody Russell-
      2013 All Independent Conference All Team Offense-Luke Borda, C,
      sr, Ethan Silverstein, lb sr , 2013 All Independent Conference Honorable Mention-
      Nick Robinson, sr dl, All Independent
      John Holden, sr,All Independent 
      Cameron Easton, so, db All Independent

Tower Hill-Kevin Waesco-
      2013 All Independent Conference First Team-Jack Guan, sr dt
      Luke Borda, sr Center,
      James Guan, sr. T,
      Matt Smith, sr, QB,
      Chris Gray, Kicker, jr, 

William Penn-Head Coach-Marvin Dooley- 2nd year-
      Reggie Carroll-2013 1st Team All State, 240 carries for 2088 yards and 23 touchdowns.
      Frank Burton, jr 2nd team All Blue Hen Conference for 2013-
      Brandon Dooley, jr, 2nd team All 2013 Blue Hen Conference at Center.
      Elijah Lewis, jr, 2nd Team All 2013 Conference,
      William Poppe, sr, 2nd Team kicker 2013 All Blue Hen

Wilmington Friends-Head Coach-Bob Tattersall-
      2013 All Independent Conference First Team Conor Ganse, sr, 
      Jake Erskine, wr, sr, All Ind
      Jimmy Carney, sr RB/KR/PR, All Ind
      Spencer Hall, sr, lb,All Ind
      Jonathan Gardner, jr, db  2013 All Independent Conference Honorable Mention-
      Ian Furman, sr, dl,All Ind
      Logan O Brien, sr. db, All Ind

Woodbridge-Head Coach-Ed Manlove-
      sr. Logan Wescott, db/qb, 2013 3rd Team All State and 1st Team All Conference,
      Shymier Vessels, 2013 2nd Team All Conference OT,
      Warren Williams, sr, 2nd team All 2013 Conference at Offensive Guard,
      Corey Green, sr. 2013 Honorable Mention All Conference 

This post was edited by David Willauer at August 25, 2014 8:56 PM EDT
    • August 5, 2014 6:26 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

From: "Renée Blessington" To: "Renée Blessington" Sent: Tuesday, August 5, 2014 4:06:52 PM Subject: 5th Annual DFRC Blue-Gold Kickoff Classic

For Immediate Release                                        For Information Contact:

August 5, 2014                                                    Renée Blessington 302.454.2730

RBlessington@dfrc.org

High School Football Opens with the 5th Annual DFRC Blue-Gold Kickoff Classic

The Delaware state high school football season is set to open with the 5th Annual DFRC Blue-Gold Kickoff Classic on Thursday, September 4.   Sponsored by the Delaware Foundation Reaching Citizens with intellectual disABILITIES (DFRC) and the Delaware Interscholastic Football Coaches Association (DIFCA), the Caravel Buccaneers will host the Hodgson Eagles at Bob Peoples Stadium and the Delcastle Cougars will travel to face the Polytech Panthers in Jeff Adams Stadium. Both games are scheduled to kickoff at 7:00 p.m.

The contests will recognize past DFRC Blue-Gold participants from each school and representatives of DFRC’s Hand-in-Hand Program. Standard pricing is $5 for adults and each host school will honor their individual student pricing. Tickets will be available at the gate the day of the game. There will also be a limited amount of DFRC Blue-Gold merchandise on sale at both games.

Sports Radio 1290 AM The Ticket will broadcast the Hodgson-Caravel game live on air and online (www.1290theticket.com) with pregame coverage starting at 6:30 p.m.

The intention of this annual event is to increase awareness about DFRC’s mission to enrich the lives of Delawareans with intellectual disabilities.  Since 1956, the DFRC Blue-Gold AlléStar Football Game has provided statewide competition at the University of Delaware Stadium to culminate a five-month program, offering high school seniors awareness, understanding, and an opportunity to be paired with a child or young adult who has an intellectual disability.

###

Renée Blessington

Director of Operations

Phone (302) 454-2730    Fax (302) 454-2755

DFRC, Inc.

…enriching the lives of Delawareans with intellectual disABILITIES

Sponsoring the DFRC Blue-Gold All*Star Football GameDFRC Holidazzle, the DFRC Blue-Gold All*Star Golf Classics, the DFRC Blue-Gold All*Star Run/Walk and the DFRC Sussex Auction

This post was edited by David Willauer at August 25, 2014 8:57 PM EDT
    • August 8, 2014 8:10 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

SUBJECT:  University of Delaware Football Finalizes Agreements to Play Five Atlantic Coast Conference Opponents Through 2020 Season

DATE:  August 8, 2014
      sws:

NEWARK, Del.  --  Atlantic Coast Conference opponents will be familiar names on the University of Delaware football squad’s schedule in the coming seasons, UD Director of Athletics and Recreation Services Eric Ziady has announced. 

Delaware has finalized deals with five ACC schools to play road games against teams from that powerful NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision conference over the next six seasons. 

The Blue Hens, who will open the 2014 campaign Aug. 30 at ACC opponent Pittsburgh, have also worked out agreements to travel to the University of North Carolina (Sept. 26, 2015), Wake Forest (Sept. 17, 2016), Virginia Tech (Sept. 2, 2017), Pittsburgh (Aug. 31, 2019), and North Carolina State (Sept. 5, 2020). 

Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech, and North Carolina all played in bowl games following the 2013 season while Virginia Tech, North Carolina State, and Pittsburgh all appeared in bowl games during the 2012 campaign. 

Ziady noted that he is still looking to schedule an NCAA FBS opponent for the 2018 season. 

“It is exciting for us to have the opportunity to play some of the nation’s top football programs on our schedule year in and year out,” said Ziady. “Playing schools from the ACC gives our student-athletes the chance to compete against some of the top teams in the country and I know our fans will be excited to see these opponents on the schedule and to visit some outstanding venues to cheer on the Blue Hens.”

“These future schedules represent a great opportunity for the players in our program to compete against some of the best teams in the country,” said Delaware head coach Dave Brock. “We look forward to the opportunity to compete annually against some of the nation’s best. This will create great excitement for our football team and for all the people who love Delaware football.”

Since the 2003 season, the Blue Hens have played eight games against FBS opponents, facing Navy (2003, 2004, 2007, 2009, 2011, and 2013), and Maryland (2008). 

- DDD - 
    • August 8, 2014 10:28 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

From: "Matt Taylor" Sent: Friday, August 8, 2014 9:02:31 PM Subject: University of Maryland Football Media Schedule and Notes

SATURDAY, AUG. 9

• Coach Edsall will be available to the media at 3:40 p.m.
      • Practice is scheduled for 4:15 to 5:45 p.m. and is open to the media. K Brad Craddock and WR Stefon Diggs will be available immediately following the workout.
      • Parking will be available in Lot 1 (open for all campus visitors throughout the day).
      • Practice times and dates are subject to change.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Matt Taylor (taylormd@umd.edu)

August 8, 2014 Matt Bertram (mbertram@umd.edu)

Head Coach Randy Edsall

COLLEGE PARK, Md. –

On if there is any update on Evan Mulrooney or Sean Christie:

“No. We’re still waiting to get back results on some tests that were done. I went up and saw [Evan] today. He’s doing well. I think he’ll still be in the hospital through the weekend and then hopefully we’ll have some more information after that and he’ll be out really soon. Sean, we’re waiting for word from the doctor. He had an MRI, so we’ll see where he’s at.”

On if he would consider moving Will Ulmer from quarterback:

“I told Will during the recruiting process that he’ll be a quarterback until he comes to me and tells me he doesn’t want to be a quarterback. We’re working him at quarterback and we’re developing him as quarterback. It he doesn’t think that he wants to be a quarterback anymore then he’ll come and tell me that.”

On if Shane Cockerille has improved:

“I think Shane is a little bit better than he was in the spring. Again, there are things he still needs to work on. He needs to get his elbow up a little bit when he throws and just some mechanical things that he’s got to do all the time. He does them sometimes, but he’s not doing them all the time so sometimes the accuracy isn’t where it needs to be. We’ve got to just continue to get him to focus on all those little things.”

On P.J Gallo’s improvement as a pass catcher:

“P.J’s a guy that can line up on the ball and can also flex out. He’s in a great competition with Andrew [Isaacs] and also with Derrick [Heyward]. It’s going to be interesting to see how that all plays out. P.J.’s just got to keep improving because he’s got great competition at that position.”

On the running back competition:

“I think there is great competition there. Brandon [Ross] has put the ball on the ground a little bit, which I don’t like. We have some guys that have missed some assignments. Again, we’re looking for those guys that can be consistent with everything they’re doing in terms of ball security, in terms of catching the ball, in terms of pass protection and in terms of their assignments. It’s too early to say this guy is sticking out or that guy is sticking out, but again, we’ll have a little bit of a scrimmage today with redzone and tight redzone and short yardage and goal line. We’ll have a bigger scrimmage on Saturday.”

“Like I said, I hope that somebody takes the bull by the horns and just separates them self. If nobody does then we’re going to have to make a decision on who are the two or three guys that have earned the right to play. Again, you can’t get four guys reps during the season. You can hardly get two guys reps there at that position. They are going to determine that. I hope that it’ll be determined when those guys determine it.”

On the settlement between the ACC and Maryland:

“Just glad that it’s over and we can just focus on the season and focus on football.”

On the freshman class:

“I’m pleased with the freshman class. Let’s reserve judgment until we get enough of a book on them here in preseason to be able to make any comments as they get into some of the scrimmage situations and more game like situations. Let’s see how they respond. Practice is one thing, but then when you get into the scrimmages, that’s another. I’m very pleased with the overall group. I think it’s a very good group and one that works hard. You can tell that they have a lot to learn. Again, I think the biggest thing from high school to college is just the technique. It’s so much different. For some of these guys, they’ve been coached, but they might not have had the extensive coaching they’re getting here and all the meeting time and everything else. How do they take it from the meeting room to the field and then when they get a little bit tired in the up tempo that we go, can they manage that. Overall I’m very pleased with the group. Those guys will separate themselves, but I’m very pleased with what I’ve seen so far.”

On if adding more pads adds more intensity to practice:

“I thought we had pretty good intensity yesterday. Here’s the thing, I’m never going to be satisfied after we get out here and everything because, again, I’m trying to get them to understand that we are striving for perfection each and every day. We might not get there, but we’re going to strive for it. I’m still looking for us to go from start to finish without any ebbs and flows to that practice. Sometimes some sides of the ball make more plays than others, but in terms of that consistent effort running to the ball and finishing plays on offense, that’s what we’re looking for and we’re not quite there yet. Now that we have the full pads on, all that’s going to do is allow us to a little scrimmaging, but we’ll still do some drills where we tag off and some drills where we thud. Of course today we’ll have scrimmaging, but even though we’re in full pads, other days we won’t be going live.”

On if he saw improvement from the receivers:

“I thought we were better in practice three and four, but still not at the level that we expect out of them. I thought we were better and we’ll continue to get better. I think the biggest thing there is once we get through Sunday; we’ll sit down as a coaching staff and say, who are our three best guys? Then come out here on Tuesday and kind of practice that way. That’s the thing we’re always looking for. Even though you’ll see some guys in the slot and see guys on the outside, it’s still a situation of who are our best three or who our best four, when you go into a four wide receiver set. Just because you see a guy at No. 2 right now, I’m not going to do too much with the depth chart until after our first scrimmage.”

On JaJuan Delaney:

“I think he’s playing with a little bit more effort and intensity than he did in the spring. That’s good to see and that’s what we saw in film from high school. Maybe it’s him feeling more comfortable coming off that injury. That’s one thing you’ve got to take a look at, or at least I do, from the standpoint that he might have not felt so comfortable cutting it loose in the spring. Now I see a guy who is starting to cut it loose more. He’s being more physical. Like all those young kids, he’s just got to get more consistent. That’s the one thing he’s lacking right now is consistency. All the young kids, especially the lineman, it’s the technique. At this level you’ve got to be able to punch and keep the hands in. Too many of them are going in and trying to hug the bear. Those are some of the big thing that we’re concentrating on with those young linemen.”

On Jeremiah Johnson:

“I thought he was a little bit rusty as we first got started. You could start to see him get a little more comfortable and more confident. When you come off the toe and you come off the hamstring, that’s probably natural. Then you come out here and you do all the things that you did before. I like the progress that he’s making and he’s just going to continue to get better and like I said, he hasn’t had any ill effects with the toe or with the hamstring, which is good.”

Matt Taylor

University of Maryland | Assistant Athletics Director/Football Communications

Office: 301.314.7065| Cell: 703.405.9274 |

Email: taylormd@umd.edu

• August 10, 2014 8:47 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Dave Brock ready for 2nd year at the helm of the University of Delaware Football Squad

By David A. Willauer-Contributing Editor-Tubby Raymond Field at Delaware Stadium-University of Delaware-Newark, DE-Sunday, August 10, 2014: On a warm football media day that was held at Delaware Stadium, second year head coach Dave Brock is ready for the upcoming season at the University of Delaware along with his Multiple Magic Offense that he runs and a 4-3 defense to stop the run and after a 2013 record at 7-5 he along with the football squad hope to improve a with a lot of confidence so their goal is to make the 2014 FCS Subdivisional Football playoffs but before the season CAA season starts their season opener on Saturday, August 31, 2014 on the home stadium of the Pittsburgh Steelers where they will face the Pittsburgh Panthers a very competitive ACC opponent

Coach Brock returns a total of 68 letterwinners 30 on offense, 32 on defense along with 6 kickers and specialist. The key fact is the need to replace the graduated Andrew Pierce who set a lot of Blue Hen All Purpose Yards record. They return 13 starters 6 on offense and defense along with 1 kicker/specialist.

Dave Brock on his 2nd year on the upcoming football season at Delaware: "When you talk about program goals you certainly want to be a playoff team as I have discussed with the players is to be the best team in the Colonial Athletic Association and we are one of the best teams in the country as our goal to reach the NCAA championship that is what I expect so far we think that the playoffs at Delaware in how the bar is set." "Trent Hurley did a nice job for us last season but I look at different areas of our offense that has put us in a position with a 5th year qb (Hurley) which finds our team to find a way to win as Trent is top person in pass efficiency and he is ready to go for us." Jalen Randolph is a good running back along with breaking tackles and Wes Hills will see his debut at rb this year they are very explosive then will evaluate some freshman."

"Michael Johnson at wide receiver is one of the best receivers in the nation we anticipate him to play like that as we expect him to play well with the statistics that he had last year along with making the big plays for us which put us in a position to win games we expect Mike to get a lot of touches with the ball make the most of it he is in great shape and has worked hard during the offseason to improve himself for 2014." "At the scrimmage yesterday we saw some good tight end kids in fr Jake Powell and Brandon Whaley both kids are 6'4 and 6"5 they are going to be a huge asset to our program."

"Patrick Calloway led us in tackles last season he is productive he didn't get a lot of reps but has played so much football and made a lot of plays we need to get a look of other defensive players Derek Battle who has been on this squad for 4 years but needs the playing time." "We also have David Mackel did a good job for us as we got him in a new defensive position he is in shape and not injured I am really excited about him."

"Our offensive line is the toughest thing for us to get going in camp this year it is determined on working together Zack Kerr and JD Dzurka started for us last year Connor Bozick played a lot for us we feel like that we have 3 returners on the front Will Lewis is a new player that we have to develop at offensive tackle and Brody Kern will help us at center and is a red shirt freshman there are no other options and is a talented person."

"The first game at Pittsburgh for us is a great opportunity for our football program as we take on the ACC tough schools that will help us to prepare for the CAA season and I am looking forward to play at Heinz Field."
      Key returners for the Blue Hens for 2014 is as follows:

Offense Nick Boyle Sr TE Colonial Athletic Association Pre Season First team for 2014
      Ben Curtis, Jr OL
      JD Dzurko, sr OL
      Jerel Harrison jr wr
      Trent Hurley sr qb 172 completions out of 268 yards for 2207 yards 22 td;s 7 interceptions

Michael Johnson sr wr Sports Network Pre Season All American for 2013 (2013 statistics 60 receptions for 1035 yards 9 td's Kickoff Returns 29 carries for 606 yards)
      Jalen Randolph so rb 65 carries for 319 yards 5 touchdowns
      Eric Enderson sr punter 60 punts for 2701 yards
      Punt Returns Wes Hills 1 reception for 6 yards

Defense:
      Craig Brodsky jr db (interceptions 3 INT's for 6 yards
      Patrick Calloway sr lb 120 tackles 50 solo
      Vince Hollerman, jr dl
      David Mackell sr lb
      Mario Rowson sr db
      Derek Saulsberry sr dl (tackles for loss 14 tackles for 69 yards and for qb sacks 8 tackles for 45 yards

2014 University of Delaware Football Schedule
      August 30 at Pittsburgh at Heinz Field 12:00 pm
      September 6 Delaware State 6:00 pm
      September 13 Colgate 6:00 pm
      September 27 at James Madison TBA
      October 4 Sacred Heart 3:30 pm
      October 11 Elon (Parent and Family Weekend) 3:30 pm
      October 18 Towson (Homecoming) 3:30 pm
      October 25 at William and Mary tba
      November 1 Rhode Island 12:00 pm
      November 8 at Albany TBA
      November 15 at New Hampshire tba
      November 22 Villanova (Hall of Fame Day) 12:00 pm

For tickets on all University of Delaware athletic events go online at www.bluehens.com

• August 11, 2014 7:58 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Former Dover High product Brian Bossard returns home to coach University of Delaware Blue Hens as wide receivers coach for 3rd time

By David A. Willauer-Contributing Editor-Tubby Raymond Field at Delaware Stadium-Newark, DE-August 10, 2014-Bryan Bossard a former product out of Dover High School and at the University of Delaware returns home to his native state as a wide receivers coach for 2nd year head coach Dave Brock.

The former Senator from Dover High School played both tailback and defensive linebacker and with the Blue Hens as a cornerback from 1985-88 under former head coach Tubby Raymond has earned the Most Valuable Player Award and graduated in 1989 with a Agricultural Business Management Degree.  From there, Bossard  has coached at Bucknell twice and just recently from 2010-13 under former Blue Hen standout and head coach Joe Susan, Pittsburgh, Maryland, Army, Wyoming, West Chester and Morehouse College.

I'm very excited that Coach Brock gave me a call asked if I was interested and I said extremely it is good to come back home as my wife Kimber is a Glasgow High graduate she is a Delaware grad everywhere I would look this is my first Saturday here to enjoy the Delaware football tradition." 

"At the scrimmage we have got some great talent on our squad it is good to see the hitting along with the players competing our freshman I like how hard they compete there is nothing for you to compare to college football this is the learning curve in how you have to be along with a long process."

"I like all the receivers had plays we are still in the evaluation process in looking on who is going to do what in different positions my biggest concern is what you did yesterday is can you put the scrimmages on tape can you replicate good days consistently."  "It is pretty simple game that is where the stress factor comes it is good to see Michael Johnson, 2013 All CAA and All American all the guys have been around he is a for real good football player and I'm glad he is wearing Blue and Gold I enjoy watch him (Michael Johnson)playing on the gridiron."

"At Dover High where I lettered as a running back and I have pride from Kent County I'm a downstate person I don't care if it's an upstate team as I consider Middletown to be an upstate team in which they are not I have pride in Kent County as I hear they are going to tear down the old Dover High School on Pat Lynn Drive which is a sad moment which is a part of my growth and has helped me to mature on the football field as where I am right now people who love Delaware are from The First State a little which is Blue Collar  state my brother lives outside of Philadelphia where share things that I tell him that Delaware is for me not for him but I am excited to be back and to help rekindle that Coach Raymond has instilled in me I have a lot of my former teammates that I had played with are back and to come watch the football practices hopefully they can get a view there is the Delaware way this is what we do and it is good seeing former UD wide receiver Eddie Conti is moving back into town Jammin Elliott, current Colts linebacker Mike Adams and former fullback Darryl Brown are back to share with the current players on the tradition of what Delaware football this is a Blue Hen family." 

• August 12, 2014 8:04 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Caesar Rodney

2014 Football Preview Form

SCHOOL:  Caesar Rodney HS

HEAD COACH (with Number of seasons at school): Mike Schonewolf   (7 as Head Coach)

2013 Results

8 – 4

Henlopen Conference Champions

Division I Semi-finals

2014 Challenges

CR must replace 29 seniors, 11 starters on offense, 8 starters on defense and the kicker and punter

KEY PLAYER LOSSES (WITH NAME, POSITION):

Bailey, Kyle, OL/DL

Brosius, Seth, TE/LB

Buskirk-Farley, Max, OL/LB

Dorsey, Domnique, OL/DE

Herrmann Joshua, DL/OL

Johnson, DJ, LB/RB

Kemp, Alexander, QB/DB

Lawrence, Marcus , OL/DL

McCarthy, Ian, OL/LB

Moore, Brendyn, OL/DL

Parker, Zachery, DE/OL

Leshon Miles, DB/WR

Naquan Watkins, RB/DB

Kendall Wicks, WR/DB

Deshawn Schuler, WR/DB

Cody Connell, RB/DB

Devrin Baynard, OL,DL

Anthony Bedward, TE

Tim Steindl, K

Returning Letterman:

Rasheed Teasley, WR/DB, SR

Jordan Downes, RB/LB, SR

Fito Louis, RB/LB, SR

Malcolm Stone, RB/DB, SR

Tim Haugh, OL,DL, SR

Takoda Bendolph, RB/LB, SR

Wylie Darden, RB/LB, SR

Andru Duranso, OL/DL, SR

Jordan Franklin, TE/DE, SR

Ron Harris, RB/LB, SR

Chukwudi Ikwuagwu, OL/DL, SR

Troy McNally, OL/DL, SR

Nick Biddle, OL/DE, JR

Michael Clavier, RB/LB, JR

Quintin Ivy, RB/DB, JR

Sam McKibbin, OL/DL, JR

KEY PLAYER ADDITIONS (WITH NAME, POSITION, YEAR):

Brian Lewis, QB, JR

Brinen LeFevre, QB/LB, JR

Ryan Bones, TE/DL, JR

Conner Christian, RB/LB, JR

Gary Gray, OL/DL, JR

Kevin Lynch, OL/DL, JR

Ross Smith, OL/DL, JR

Sadeek Shoates, OL/DL, JR

Andrew Sudler, TE/LB, JR

TOUGHEST REGULAR-SEASON GAME: (in no particular order)

Salesianum, 9/5

Middletown, 9/12

Hodgson, 9/19

Cape Henlopen, 9/26

Sussex Central, 10/10

St Marks, 10/24

Dover, 11/7

COACH’S OUTLOOK:

Caesar Rodney returns a solid group of players who have gained valuable experience. Team development and individuals gaining starting experience will be important to the 2014 Riders. The schedule is very challenging, highlighted with an opener against the reigning Division I state Champions, followed by the Div I runner-up in week 2 and the Div II champions in week 3. We will need to develop quickly to be ready and will need to continue improving as the season moves into conference play.

This post was edited by David Willauer at August 25, 2014 8:59 PM EDT
    • August 12, 2014 8:12 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Name of School  

Dover High

Head Football Coach 

Dante Jones

Years at School

2nd

Career Overall Record

9-3 

Returning All Conference and All State along with other veterans and Newcomers
       Devlin Locklin DB/RB

Jordan Hutchins K

Laquawn Moody ATH
      Nick Glover OL/DL
      Tristian Harris QB
      Darius Taylor ATH
      Aaron Jenkins WR
      Daryl Coverdale WR/DB
      Tyler Rosello OL/DL
      Josh Sudler LB
      Ziare White WR
      Breon Dennis WR
      Shane Speights DL

This post was edited by David Willauer at August 25, 2014 9:01 PM EDT

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel