• March 10, 2014 1:40 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Three Wolverine wrestlers punch tickets to NCAA Championships

The three grapplers ties an all-time best for Utah Valley.

March 8, 2014

Final Results/Brackets

OREM, Utah - Three Utah Valley University wrestlers punched their tickets to the 2014 NCAA Championships Saturday at the NCAA West Regional/Western Wrestling Conference Championships that was held at the UCCU Center in Orem, Utah.

The three Wolverine grapplers to secure automatic bids to the NCAA's were sophomore 125-pounderJade Rauser, senior 141-pounder Avery Garner and fellow senior Curtis Abner Cook (165 pounds). Of the group, Garner one his first conference title while Rauser wrestled back to take second in his weight class, which included winning a true second-place bout, and Cook placed third.

Garner and Cook both secured their first trips to nationals while Rauser will make his second consecutive appearance after he competed there as a redshirt freshman a season ago.

"Our number one goal is to get guys to nationals. Obviously we are pleased because we might end up taking the most we've ever taken (depending on if Adam Fager get picked up as an at-large selection), so it's definitely a step forward," head coach Greg Williams said.

The three qualifiers matches a program best for Utah Valley and will also mark the fifth consecutive season that the Wolverines will be represented at the NCAA Championships.

In the team score race, UVU finished in fourth place but just a half a point back of third place Air Force as the Wolverines posted 49.5 points while AFA put up 50. North Dakota State took home the tournament title with 74 points to halt Wyoming streak at four as the Cowboys came in second with 66 total points. South Dakota State and Northern Colorado rounded out the tourney as the two finished with 34.5 and 12.5 respective points.

"Overall I was very pleased with how our guys wrestled and I was really proud of Avery and Abner,” added Williams. "It's pretty special for both seniors to qualify in their last year after working so hard."

The senior Garner won his first conference title by holding on to defeat the top seeded Cole Mendenhall from Wyoming in the finals by a score of 9-7. Garner held a late 8-6 lead and despite taking a stall call in the closing seconds won by two points as he had secured an additional riding time point. With the victory, Garner won his first and Utah Valley's fifth West Regional/WWC Title and Utah Valley's fifth.

Garner, who entered the tournament as the two seed, went 2-0 on the day as he also picked up a 5-0 win over SDSU' Eric Orozco in the semis.

After taking an injury default in the opening round against the Falcons' Jesse Stafford in the opening round, the senior Cook punched his ticket to his first trip to the Big Show by winning both his bouts in the wrestlebacks to take third. The four-seed Cook managed to upset the No. 3 seed Joe Brewster from SDSU in the consolation semis - a first period fall (2:44) - to advance to the third-place bout. Cook then secured his qualifying spot with a dominant 10-3 decision over Northern Colorado's Charlie McMartin in the third-place match.

The sophomore three-seeded Jade Rauser began his qualifying run with a 12-1 major decision over NDSU's Hunter Weber in the opening round. Following a hard fought 6-5 defeat to the eventual champion Tyler Cox of Wyoming in the semis, Rauser bounced back in the third-place bout with a 6-2 victory over Northern Colorado Trey Andrews. The victory then setup a true second-place bout with the top seed Josh Martinez from Air Force and Rauser took the match by medial forfeit to earn his second straight trip to the Big Show.

Behind the trio of Wolverines that qualified for the NCAA's, junior Adam Fager had a solid tournament as he placed second at heavyweight. Fager, who entered the tournament as the No. 2 seed, opened his day with a 3-2 decision over UNC's Henry Chirino in the semis. Fager then failed to pick up his weight classes auto bid with a 4-1 loss to the top seed from NDSU Evan Knutson. Fager will likely receive an at-large selection next week to the NCAA Championship as he is ranked 12th in the final NCAA Coaches' Panel Rankings and 15th in the latest RPI and also has a number of quality wins over stiff competition.

Despite Garner and Fager being the only Wolverines to wrestle for titles on the day, seven other UVU grapplers wrestled for third. Four of those seven placed third as Rauser (who later earned a true second-place finish), Cook, sophomore 133-pounder Chasen Tolbert and fellow sophomore Derek Thomas (197) all won their respective third-place bouts. Sophomore Trevor Willson (149), seniorMonte Schmalhaus (174) and junior Ethan Smith (184) all finished in fourth place.

Sophomore 157-pounder Chase Cuthbertson also wrestled for UVU on the day and ended his first WWC Championship run with an 0-2 record.

Saturday's West Regional marked the first-ever NCAA event to be contested on the campus of Utah Valley.

"We may not have won all the matches we wanted or thought we would win, but I felt like we battled and fought through all the matches and that was something we didn't do in our final dual of the season," concluded Williams.

After all of the qualifying events have concluded, the NCAA Division I Wrestling Committee will meet in-person to select the remaining 40 at-large qualifiers, which will be announced on March 12. All weight classes will consist of 33 wrestlers. The at-large selections will be made based on the following criteria: head-to-head competition; qualifying event placement; quality wins; results against common opponents; winning percentage; RPI; coaches ranking and the number of matches contested at that weight class.

The 2014 NCAA Championships will be held March 20-22 at the Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City, Okla.

Final Team Scores
      1. North Dakota State - 74.0
      2. Wyoming - 66.0
      3. Air Force - 50.0
      4. Utah Valley - 49.5
      5. South Dakota State - 34.5
      6. Northern Colorado - 12.5

West Regional/WWC Automatic Qualifiers for the 2014 NCAA Championships (champions listed first)
      125: Tyler Cox (Wyoming)
      125: Jade Rauser (Utah Valley)
      133: Greg Rinker (Air Force)
      141: Avery Garner (Utah Valley)
      149: Alex Kocer (South Dakota State)
      157: Cody Pack (South Dakota State)
      157: Josh Kreimier (Air Force)
      165: Steven Monk (North Dakota State)
      165: Dakota Friesth (Wyoming)
      165: Curtis Abner Cook (Utah Valley)
      174: Hayden Zillmer (North Dakota State)
      184: Benjamin Stroh (Wyoming)
      184: Devin Hightower (Air Force)
      197: Shane Woods (Wyoming)
      285: Evan Knutson (North Dakota State)

Tournament Awards
      Outstanding Wrestler: Steven Monk (North Dakota State)
      Most Pins: Steven Monk (North Dakota State) {Fastest Time}
      Coach of the Year: Roger Kish (North Dakota State)
      Regular Season Team Champion: Wyoming
      Tournament Champion: North Dakota State

Bonus Matches
      True 2nd (125 lbs.) - Jade Rauser (Utah Valley) wins by medical forfeit over Josh Martinez (Air Force)
      True 2nd (157 lbs.) - Josh Kreimier (Air Force) wins by decision over Andy McCulley (Wyoming), 8-4
      True 2nd (184 lbs.) - Devin Hightower (Air Force) wins by decision over Kurtis Julson (North Dakota State), 3-1

Attendance: 1462

• March 10, 2014 1:43 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

OSU Wins
      Big 12; Perry Earns Fourth Conference Title

​***Final
      results attached

NORMAN, Okla. –
      The Oklahoma State wrestling team won its 12th Big 12 team championship and 48th
      conference title on Saturday at McCasland Field House in Norman, Okla. The day
      was highlighted by Chris Perry's 3-2 upset over top-ranked Andrew Howe of
      Oklahoma in the 174-pound finals.

Six Cowboys took
      home individual titles, while three produced runner-up finishes and Blake
      Rosholt took home a third-place medal at 197 pounds.

Perry was also
      named the tournament's Outstanding Wrestler.

"Today was good
      from a standpoint of that first round kind of set the pace for us," Coach John
      Smith said. "Pushing nine of the 10 into the finals is always a good thing when
      you're in the Big 12 because you really position your team to win. The final
      round I thought was pretty good. I'm not mad, but there were a couple of things
      I would have liked to see differently, but overall it takes a team effort, and
      this team today definitely gave the effort."

Eddie Klimara took
      to the mat for the Cowboys in the first championship bout of the night, facing
      All-American Jarrod Patterson of OU at 125 pounds. Klimara kept it a tight match
      but Patterson's 1:02 riding time advantage gave him the 4-3 victory over
      Klimara.

Senior Jon
      Morrison finished his final conference tournament with his second-consecutive
      Big 12 crown. Morrison earned his sixth career win over OU's Cody Brewer with an
      8-1 decision.

Collica became the
      19th freshman in school history to win a conference title. He defeated Iowa
      State's Gabe Moreno, 4-2, to earn his first Big 12 title at 141 pounds.

"It was real cool
      winning my first Big 12 title," Collica said. "The matches today—I had some
      tough ones. I had to toughen up, rode hard in the third to win both, and just
      had to out-tough the other guy. That's what it's about."

At 149 pounds,
      Josh Kindig, the No. 2 seed, took on top-seeded Kendric Maple from OU. The last
      time the two met in Norman, Kindig upset the 2013 national champion, 4-3;
      however, this time Kindig could not pull off another upset and dropped the
      match, 6-3.

Sophomore Alex
      Dieringer took home his second conference title in just as many attempts at 157
      pounds. Dieringer faced OU's Justin DeAngelis, whom he defeated with ease, 8-3.

Senior and former
      Sooner Tyler Caldwell earned his second Big 12 title of his career—both during
      his time as a Cowboy—defeating ISU's Michael Moreno with a 12-1 major decision.

The championship
      round skipped ahead to the 184-pound bout as the 174-pound championship was
      scheduled to be the night's finale.

Redshirt freshman
      Nolan Boyd faced Lelund Weatherspoon of ISU. Boyd led the whole match, but a
      takedown by Weatherspoon with just seconds left in the match gave him the
      advantage and the 4-3 win over Boyd.

Austin Marsden was
      the next finalist for the Pokes at heavyweight. The Crystal Lake, Ill., native
      took on WVU's A.J. Vizcarrondo, the tournament's No. 2 seed. Marsden won his
      first conference title with a 5-2 decision.

The day's most
      awaited match was saved for last as Perry and Howe went head-to-head in the
      final bout of the night. Several controversial and reviewed calls created an
      intense atmosphere as the two battled it out to be the Big 12's best. Perry
      snagged two escapes, while Howe picked up the bout's only takedown, but it was
      Perry's riding time advantage that secured the Cowboy's fourth Big 12 title.

"It's nice to win
      four. I really didn't pay much attention to it coming in," Perry said. "As a
      whole, I just felt relaxed. I just felt good all week, so to come in here and
      beat him was big for me. If I can beat him here, I know I can beat him anywhere.
      He'll be ready in Oklahoma City, and I'm not even thinking forward to if I
      wrestle him, unless it happens. I've been in tight matches with a lot of guys
      this year, and I've just got to focus and worry about myself and not worry about
      the other competitors. I've just got to come out and execute. I believe in
      myself. I love winning, and I believe March is my time every year."

The Cowboys will
      be back in action in Oklahoma City on March 20-22 to compete in the NCAA
      wrestling championships.

"We're behind from
      a standpoint of the top teams. We're going to have to close the gap," Smith
      said. "You've got several guys that have low rankings, and that doesn't put you
      in a very good position. But we closed the gap last year, and that's something
      we're going to have to do. We're going to have to wrestle above our seeds if
      we're going to do well."

Final team
      scores:

1. Oklahoma State
      – 98.5 points

2. Oklahoma – 63.5

3. Iowa State –
      45.5 points

4. West Virginia –
      26 points

Final
      results:

125: No. 1 Jarrod
      Patterson (OU) dec. No. 2 Eddie Klimara (OSU), 4-3

133: No. 1 Jon
      Morrison (OSU) dec. No. 2 Cody Brewer (OU), 8-1            

141: No. 2 Anthony
      Collica (OSU) dec. No. 4 Gabe Moreno (ISU), 4-2

149: No. 1 Kendric
      Maple (OU) dec. No. 2 Josh Kindig (OSU), 6-3

157: No. 1 Alex
      Dieringer (OSU) dec. No. 2 Justin DeAngelis (OU), 8-3

165: No. 1 Tyler
      Caldwell (OSU) MD No. 2 Michael Moreno (ISU), 12-1

174: No. 2 Chris
      Perry (OSU) dec. No. 1 Andrew Howe (OU), 3-2

184:  No. 3 Lelund
      Weatherspoon (ISU) dec. No. 1 Nolan Boyd (OSU), 4-3

197: No. 1 Kyven
      Gadson (ISU) dec. No. 2 Travis Rutt (OU), 3-3 TB2 (on criteria)

285: No. 1 Austin
      Marsden (OSU) dec. No. 2 A.J. Vizcarrondo (WVU), 5-2

-OSU-

• March 10, 2014 1:45 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                                                                                                       Contact: Taylor Smyth • tsmyth1@terpmail.umd.edu

March 8, 2014                                                                                                                                                                      ph. 301.314.8093

Sheptock Captures Third Straight ACC Title

Four Terps qualify automatically to NCAA Championships

BLACKSBURG, Va. Jimmy Sheptock punctuated the Maryland wrestling team’s final ACC Championships with his third straight conference title at Cassell Coliseum Saturday night.

Overall the Terps qualified four wrestlers automatically to the NCAA Championships. In addition to Sheptock, Tyler Goodwin (133), Christian Boley (197) and Spencer Myers (285) will all travel to Oklahoma City in two weeks.

“We’re excited for Jimmy. He did a great job today,” head coach Kerry McCoy said. “He’s never lost to an ACC wrestler and he should be the No. 1 seed in NCAA’s. Qualifying four guys to the NCAA tournament is good. It’s not what we came for, but we’ve got to make the best of it.”

Virginia Tech captured the team title with a total score of 87. The Terps finished fifth with 37.5.

Seeded No. 1, Sheptock only needed one win to advance to the finals. The senior put on a workmanlike performance to defeat Virginia’s Jon Fausey, 2-0. In the finals, Sheptock secured a third period takedown after some slick defense to earn a 3-1 victory over second-seeded Max Thomusseit of Pittsburgh. 

With the wins, Sheptock moved his perfect record to 28-0. His individual title is the 200th in Maryland history.

Goodwin provided some fireworks at 133 pounds to gain his first NCAA Tournament bid. After a 6-5 decision win against No. 5 Troy Heilman of Virginia, Goodwin faced top-seeded Shelton Mack of Pittsburgh in the semifinals. After a tough first period, the Terps freshman caught the nationally ranked Mack in a pinning predicament and finished for a fall at 3:16. Goodwin fell to Virginia Tech’s Dennis Gustafson in the final, but punched his ticket to NCAAs with the second place finish.

Myers, looking for his third ACC title, pinned Bob Coe of North Carolina to advance to the semis. The junior gained entry into the final with a 2-1 victory over P.J. Tasser. In the title match, Myers fell to No. 1 Nick Gwiazdowski. 10-4.

By virtue of his No. 1 seed, Boley had a bye into the semifinals, but Virginia Tech’s Zach Nye outlasted the Terp senior 3-1 in sudden victory. Boley would defeat KaRonne Jones in the consolation semifinals before losing to Duke’s Conner Hartmann in the third-place bout.

Maryland leaves the ACC with a conference high 24 team titles. In addition to 200 individual champions, Maryland has four ACC Wrestler of the Year honors and six ACC Coach of the Year awards.

The Terps will finish off their season with a trip to Oklahoma City for the NCAA Championships. Action begins on Thursday March 20 and runs to Saturday March 22 at the Chesapeake Energy Arena.

-Terps-

• March 10, 2014 1:55 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Three Cowboys Collect Conference Tournament Titles

Wyoming finishes second in team standings

OREM, Utah (March 8, 2014) Junior Tyler Cox led the charge Saturday as he and two other University of Wyoming wrestlers finished with conference crowns in the Western Wrestling Conference Championships/NCAA West Regional.

UW finished second in the team standings with 66 points, trailing North Dakota State by just eight points. Both teams had six championship finalists, and both won three. But NDSU won two consolation finals to outpace the Pokes. Along with Cox, UW redshirt freshman Benjamin Stroh and junior Shane Woods won titles, and junior Dakota Friesth was second. All four garnered automatic NCAA spots with the performances.

“We’ve got to walk away from this with a bitter taste in our mouth,” Wyoming head coach Mark Branch said. “As a whole, we didn’t look exceptionally well. There were guys who I was expecting to have their best performances of the year and they didn’t. When that happens, you have a rough go of it.

“We had some guys who took care of business in some tough matches. I thought Tyler was exceptional. He’s the bright spot, definitely, along with Ben and Woody, and Dakota had a nice tournament. But it’s disappointing. We had a lot of calls that didn’t go our way. But when the dust settles, I look at why we didn’t put ourselves in a position where those calls didn’t matter.”

Cox earned one of the biggest wins of his career when he defeated top-seeded and fourth-ranked Josh Martinez of Air Force in the 125-pound final. Cox was up 10-2 when Martinez was forced to take an injury default at 6:17, and Cox took the victory. Cox now is No. 20 all-time in UW history in career wins with 88.

Woods had two gritty wins for his second-straight conference crown. He was the 184-pound champion in 2013. He beat North Dakota State’s Tyler Lehmann in the final 6-3.

Stroh was the 184-pound champion with two wins, becoming just the fifth UW freshman to win a WWC title. He upended North Dakota State’s Kurtis Julson 8-5.

Friesth garnered an NCAA automatic bid by finishing second at 165 pounds, falling to NDSU’s Steven Monk in the final. But with three automatic bids at the weight, Friesth will make his first trip to nationals.

Redshirt freshman Cole Mendenhall lost a heartbreaking 8-7 final match at 141 when it appeared he had tied it up at 8-8 with 15 seconds to go, but the officials overturned the call. At 157, junior Andy McCulley made the final but dropped a close 4-3 contest. He was forced into a true second-place match with Air Force’s Josh Kreimier to determine NCAA qualification, which he lost, 8-4.

“Our focus is on our qualifiers. The best is yet to come,” Branch said. “We have a great opportunity here in two weeks. We’re going to have to wait and see on a couple of guys for wild cards, and I don’t want to do that. But hopefully we can sneak a guy or two in.”

After all of the qualifying events have concluded, the NCAA Division I Wrestling Committee will meet in person to select the remaining 40 at-large qualifiers, who will be announced March 12. All weight classes will consist of 33 wrestlers for the NCAA Tournament. The NCAA Championships will be March 20-22 in Oklahoma City, Okla.

Wyoming results 125 pounds: Tyler Cox (2-0), First place (NCAA Qualifier) Championship semifinals: Cox dec. Jade Rauser (UVU), 6-5 Championship final: Cox wins by injury default (6:17) over Josh Martinez (AF)

133: Gunnar Woodburn (0-2)

Championship quarterfinals: Brance Simms (SDSU) fall (3:58) Woodburn

Consolation semifinals: Chasen Tolbert (UVU) dec. Woodburn, 8-4

141: Cole Mendenhall (1-1), Second place

Championship semifinals: Mendenhall dec. Clayton Cathey (NDSU), 8-6

Championship final: Avery Garner (UVU) dec. Mendenhall, 8-7

149: Brandon Richardson (1-2)

Championship quarterfinals: Richardson dec. Beau Roberts (UNC), 6-5

Championship semifinals: Alex Kocer (SDSU) dec. Richardson, 5-1

Consolation semifinal: Trevor Willson (UVU) dec. Richardson, 3-2

157: Andy McCulley (1-2), Second place*

Championship semifinals: McCulley fall (4:20) Mitchell Polkowske (UNC)

Championship final: Cody Pack (SDSU) dec. McCulley, 4-3

True second-place match: Josh Kreimier (AF) dec. McCulley, 8-4*

165: Dakota Friesth (1-1), Second place (NCAA Qualifier)

Championship semifinals: Friesth dec. Joseph Brewster (SDSU), 6-3

Championship final: Steven Monk (NDSU) fall (4:28) Friesth

174: Brent Havlik (0-2)

Championship quarterfinals: Monte Schmalhaus (UVU) tech. fall Havlik, 15-0

Consolation semifinal: Konner Witt (AF) fall (3:39) Havlik

184: Benjamin Stroh (2-0), First place (NCAA Qualifier)

Championship semifinals: Stroh dec. Devin Hightower (AF), 6-2

Championship final: Stroh dec. Kurtis Julson (NDSU), 8-5

197: Shane Woods (2-0), First place (NCAA Qualifier)

Championship semifinals: Woods dec. Derek Thomas (UVU), 7-2

Championship final: Woods dec. Tyler Lehmann (NDSU), 6-3

285: Tanner Harms (1-2), Fourth place

Championship quarterfinals: Henry Chirino (UNC) dec. Harms, 8-3

Consolation semifinal: Harms wins by injury default (1:37) over J.J. Everard (SDSU)

Consolation final: Henry Chirino (UNC) dec. Harms, 8-7

-ADC-

• March 10, 2014 2:03 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

RUWR Earns Three Automatic Bids to 2014 NCAA Championships

Scarlet Knights finish third for second time in the last four seasons

PHILADELPHIA – (March 9, 2014) – The Rutgers wrestling team finished in third place out of 18 teams and qualified three wrestlers for the 2014 NCAA Wrestling Championships in the program’s final EIWA Championships appearance Sunday at the Palestra.

Redshirt sophomore Billy Smith (Wantage, N.J.) posted the best finish on the squad, ending his day as runner-up at heavyweight. He and No. 2 Joe Stolfi (Bucknell) battled all match, as Stolfi took the lead for good with nearly a minute remaining in the third period, scoring an escape and takedown to make it 8-7. He rode Smith out for the 9-7win, giving Smith the runner-up finish.

As a team, the Scarlet Knights tallied 91 points for third place, ending the day with six place-winners. The third-place finish was the second of the Goodale era and first since the 2010-11 season, when RU 165-pounder Scott Winston was crowned EIWA Champion. Rutgers sent nine grapplers to the podium in the 2013 EIWA Championships, hosted by the Scarlet Knights at the RAC. T

Along with Smith, two other grapplers earned automatic NCAA Championship qualifying bids. An injury default gave sophomore 149-pounder Ken Theobold (Toms River, N.J.) a third-place finish at 149 pounds, and a reversal and near fall as time expired in the third period sealed an 11-7 win for redshirt sophomore Anthony Perrotti (Roseland, N.J.) in 157-pound third place match.

The three Scarlet Knights punched their ticket to the 2014 NCAA Wrestling Championships in Oklahoma City from March 20-22 earlier in the tournament, however, as Smithadvanced to the heavyweight final with a 2-1 win against No. 4 Blake Herrin (American). Theoboldcemented his spot at nationals with a 9-1 win in his consolation semifinal, while Perrottiadvanced by injury default to seal his automatic NCAA bid.

The program has qualified at least two wrestlers for nationals in all seven season of head coach Scott Goodale’s tenure.

For those wrestlers who did not earn automatic bids – redshirt senior 133-pounder Vinnie Dellefave (Toms River, N.J.), freshman 141-pounder Tyson Dippery (Harrisburg, Pa.) and redshirt junior 165-pounder Nick Visicaro (Long Branch, N.J.) – their fate will be decided on Wednesday, March 12, when the NCAA announces the four at-large qualifiers for each weight.

Theoboldtook it to the No. 1 seed Chris Villalonga (Cornell) in the 149-pound EIWA Championship Semifinals, but lost a hard-fought match, 3-1. After falling into consolations, Theobold notched wins in his next two bouts to finish third at 149 pounds. The EIWA place-winner is his second at Rutgers after the Toms River HS South product finished sixth last season.

Perrotti pinned his way through the 157-pound EIWA Consolation Fourth Round to move one win away from locking up an NCAA Championships at-large bid. He held a 6-1 lead over Army’s Paul Hancock before locking up the fall at the 1:19 mark.

After qualifying for the NCAA Championships courtesy of an injury default by No. 3 Joey Napoli (Lehigh), Perrotti followed up with a thrilling win over the No. 2-seeded Brian Realbuto (Cornell), scoring on a reversal and near fall as time expired to record a third-place finish. Perrotti also exacted some revenge against Realbuto, who topped him, 6-1, in dual action earlier this season (Jan. 26).

Dellefaveled, 3-2, against No. 2 Mark Grey (Cornell) with less than 30 seconds remaining in the final period in his 133-pound third place match, but the Toms River East HS product got caught, turned and pinned by Grey with 18 seconds left to finish in fourth place. The place-winner is the second for Dellefave in his RU career, after he took third at the EIWA Championships last season.

Dellefave will not qualify automatically for the NCAA Championships, as one of the league’s automatic bids was withdrawn. He will only qualify if he is able to receive one of four at-large bids available at 133 pounds.

Dellefavewas narrowly edged by top-seeded Mason Beckman (Lehigh), 2-1, in the 133-pound EIWA Championship Semifinals, but sealed a tight, 3-2 win against No. 7 Jeffrey Ott (Harvard) in the consolation semifinals to move into the third-place bout.

Dippery suffered a fall in his fifth-place bout against No. 2 Mike Nevinger (Cornell), finishing the 2014 EIWA Championships in sixth place and narrowly missing out on the final NCAA allocation at his weight.

Dipperywon by tech fall in the EIWA Consolation Fourth Round, defeating Tyler Rauezahn (Army), 20-4, to move one win shy of advancing to Oklahoma City for the 2014 NCAA Wrestling Championships. But No. 9 Tyler Scotton (Boston University) did not make things easy for Dippery, sending him to the fifth-place match with a 5-4 decision. Dippery surged late, but could not score the takedown he needed to earn a spot in the third place match. 

He can still qualify for nationals if he is able to receive one of four at-large bids available at 141 pounds.

Visicaro defeated Binghamton’s Vincent Grella, 8-1, with 3:32 of riding time to become RU’s sixth place-winner of the tournament, ending the EIWA Championships in seventh place.

Visicarofell, 14-4, to Harvard’s Devon Gobbo in the EIWA Consolation Fourth Round, ending his run at a 165-pound NCAA Championships automatic qualifier. A 2013 NCAA qualifier, Visicaro can still receive an at-large bid to compete in Oklahoma City from March 20-22. The seventh-place finish is the second EIWA place-winner of Visicaro’s career, as he finished fifth at 165 pounds last season at the EIWA Championships to earn an automatic NCAA bid.

The Scarlet Knights will train for two weeks until Theobold, Perrotti, Smith and potentially more RU grapplers head to Oklahoma City, Okla., to compete in the 2014 NCAA Wrestling Championships.

Wrestler – Weight                                              Opponent                                                                Result

No. 4 Vinnie Dellefave – 133 Pounds – FOURTH PLACE (3-2)

Championship Second Round                            Logan Everett (Army)                                       W-D, 5-3

Championship Quarterfinals                               No. 5 Angelo Amenta (Columbia)         W-D, 4-3 TB2

Championship Semifinals                                     No. 1 Mason Beckman (Lehigh)             L-D, 2-1 TB2

Consolation Semifinals                                          No. 7 Jeffrey Ott (Harvard)                             W-D, 3-2

Third Place Bout                                                    No. 2 Mark Grey (Cornell)                                L-F, 6:42

No. 6 Tyson Dippery – 141 Pounds – SIXTH PLACE (3-3)

Championship Second Round                            Nick Tighe (Binghamton)                          W-MD, 10-1

Championship Quarterfinals                               No. 3 Luke Vaith (Hofstra)                             L-TF, 15-0

Consolation Second Round                                 Joe Locksmith (Navy)                                     W-F, 0:20

Consolation Fourth Round                                   Tyler Rauezahn (Army)                                W-TF, 20-4

Consolation Semifinals                                          No. 9 Tyler Scotton (Boston University)          L-D, 5-4               

Fifth Place Bout                                                      No. 2 Mike Nevinger (Cornell)                        L-D, 1:15

No. 5 Ken Theobold – 149 Pounds – THIRD PLACE (3-1)

Championship Second Round                            Joe Bonaldi (Binghamton)                            W-F, 2:52

Championship Semifinals                                     No. 1 Chris Villalonga (Cornell)                         L-D, 3-1

Consolation Semifinals                                          No. 7 Alex Johnson (Navy)                              W-D, 9-1

Third Place Bout                                                    No. 3 Cody Ruggirello (Hofstra)                   W-Inj. Def.

No. 8 Anthony Perrotti – 157 Pounds – THIRD PLACE (5-1)

Championship Second Round                            Ray Schlitt (Bucknell)                                  W-MD, 11-3

Championship Quarterfinals                               No. 1 Nestor Taffur (Boston University)         L-D, 9-5

Consolation Third Round                                     Jahlani Callender (Hofstra)                      W-MD, 15-1

Consolation Fourth Round                                   No. 5 Paul Hancock (Army)                          W-F, 1:19

Consolation Semifinals                                          No. 3 Joey Napoli (Lehigh)                            W-Inj. Def.

Third Place Bout                                                    No. 2 Brian Realbuto (Cornell)                    W-D, 11-7               

Nick Visicaro – 165 Pounds – SEVENTH PLACE (3-2)

Championship Second Round                            No. 1 Dylan Palacio (Cornell)                          L-D, 12-7

Consolation Second Round                                 Johnny Vrasidas (Sacred Heart)                 W-F, 3:15

Consolation Third Round                                     No. 6 Chandler Smith (Army)                         W-D, 4-3

Consolation Fourth Round                                   No. 7 Devon Gobbo (Harvard)                   L-MD, 14-4

Seventh Place Bout                                               Vincent Grella (Binghamton)                           W-D, 8-1

No. 1 Billy Smith – Heavyweight – RUNNER-UP (3-1)

Championship First Round                                  Ryder Cavey (Brown)                                     W-F. 0-:54

Championship Quarterfinals                               No. 8 Steven Graziano (Penn)                 W-MD, 10-2

Championship Semifinals                                     No. 4 Blake Herrin (American)                      W-D, 2-1

Championship Finals                                             No. 2 Joe Stolfi (Bucknell)                                  L-D, 9-7

• March 10, 2014 2:08 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Big Ten Championships Wrap Up

March 9, 2014

MADISON, Wis. - Three Hoosiers claimed the
      right to compete in the 2014 NCAA Wrestling Championships, qualifying with
      automatics bids based on their performances at this weekend's Big Ten
      Championships. Adam Chalfant, Taylor Walsh and Ryan LeBlanc can start packing their bags for Oklahoma
      City.

BracketsGet Acrobat Reader

Hoosier
      heavyweight Adam Chalfant reached the title bout before falling, 2-1, in a
      tiebreaker to two-time defending national champion Tony Nelson of Minnesota. The
      Big Ten heavyweight runner-up will enter NCAA action with an overall record of
      25-3; all three defeats coming in extra time. Chalfant and Nelson have now split
      a pair of meetings this season as Chalfant topped the Gopher in Minnesota during
      the regular season dual.

Walsh
      started his Day Two by nearly enacting revenge on Wisconsin's Isaac Jordan. It
      was Jordan winning by a slim margin in the regular season meeting, 2-1, before
      getting all he could handle once again on Sunday in the consolation semifinals.
      Jordan was able to get past Walsh in sudden victory, 2-1. Walsh then received a
      medical forfeit from Dylan Ness to claim fifth place.

LeBlanc
      did just enough to guarantee his slot in the 165-pound field at nationals,
      finishing in eighth place at Big Tens. During the conference tournament, LeBlanc
      secured his 100th career win and moved within four W's of cracking the all-time
      top-10 at IU for wins in a season. The senior out of New York has racked 35
      victories this season.

In
      addition to the three Hoosiers qualified above, 184-pounder Luke Sheridan placed in the top-8 as well. With just seven
      automatic bids in his weight class, the 2013 NCAA Qualifier must await his fate
      until later this week when the NCAA committee's 40 at-large selections are
      announced. He's put together a worthy resume that includes an overall mark of
      27-14 and a pair of conquests of nationally-ranked foes.

DAY ONE RECAP

Three
      Hoosier grapplers claimed their bids to the NCAA Championships on Day One of the
      Big Ten Championships, including heavyweight Adam Chalfant advancing to the championship bout. On Sunday,
      he'll have a shot at becoming Indiana's first conference champion since Angel Escobedo brought back three straight from 2008-10.

Chalfant
      posted a pair of victories to reach the heavyweight finals, capped off with a
      3-2 decision over Northwestern's Mike McMullan. It marks Chalfant's second
      triumph over the Wildcat this season, posting a 10-4 decision in the dual match.
      Following a first round bye, Chalfant topped Connor Medberry (Wisconsin), 7-2,
      to set up the semifinals meeting with McMullan. Awaiting Chalfant in the
      championship bout is two-time defending national champion Tony Nelson of
      Minnesota.

Taylor Walsh punched his NCAA ticket as well, winning three of
      four bouts at 157 pounds. The Cherry Hill, N.J., native remains in contention
      for third place after wins over Randall Languis (Ohio State), Roger Wildmo
      (Michigan State) and Zach Brunson (lllinois). The besting of Brunson came via a
      first period pin (1:14). It added to his school record 25 falls this season and
      pulled Walsh within one of tying Viktor Sveda (1998-2002) for the career IU
      record of 47 pins.

165-pounder Ryan LeBlanc has guaranteed his spot in Oklahoma City as well,
      notching two Day One victories to run his career wins total to 100. He will
      wrestle for seventh place on Sunday thanks to wins over Joe Grandominico (Ohio
      State) and Purdue's Pat Robinson. With 35 overall wins this season, LeBlanc is
      closing on cracking the school's all-time top-10 (39) in that category.

Luke Sheridan will compete in the seventh-placed bout as well,
      but needs to win it to clinch an NCAA qualification as the just the top-seven
      184-pounders earn an automatic bid. Sheridan bounced the highest seed of the
      tournament's first round, hitting a sudden victory takedown to get past
      7th-seeded Jackson Hein (Wisconsin). Two bouts later, Sheridan was back at it in
      dramatic fashion once again. He was able to ride out Purdue's Tanner Lynde in a
      tiebreaker for the 2-1 decision. It'll be a rubber match of sorts in the
      seventh-place bout, facing off against Michigan State's John Rizqallah for the
      third time after splitting the first two
      matchups.

• March 10, 2014 2:10 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Brown Wrestling's Bernstein Punches Ticket to NCAAs with Third Place Finish at EIWAs

PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – Junior co-captain Ophir Bernstein (Allen, Texas) secured his third consecutive trip to the NCAA Championships with a third-place finish in the 184-pound weight class at the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association Championships on Sunday. Classmate and fellow captain Ricky McDonald (Carson City, Nev.) narrowly missed the cut to NCAAs and placed seventh in the 174-pound weight class.
      Bernstein, Brown’s winningest wrestler this season, fell to Penn’s Lorenzo Thomas, 6-2, in the semifinal round but bounced back to punch his ticket to the NCAAs by pinning Princeton’s Brett Harner in 2:49. For good measure, Bernstein blanked Columbia’s Zach Hernandez, 6-0, for the second time in two days to take home third-place honors and tie his personal best finish at EIWAs. The Honorable Mention All-Ivy selection now stands at 32-8 on the season to surpass the 30-win mark for the first time in his career.
      McDonald opened the day against Elliot Riddick of Lehigh and fell 7-3 in the consolation round before surrendering by the same score to Cornell’s George Pickett in the seventh place match. McDonald closes out 2014 with a 20-15 record to finish second on the team in wins behind Bernstein.
      Bernstein will take the national stage on Thursday, Mar. 20, in Oklahoma City, Okla.
      Results
      174: Ricky McDonald Cons. Round 5 – Elliot Riddick (Lehigh) dec. Ricky McDonald (Brown), 7-3 7th Place Match – George Pickett (Cornell) dec. Ricky McDonald (Brown), 7-3
      184: Ophir Bernstein Semifinal – Lorenzo Thomas (Penn) dec. Ophir Bernstein (Brown), 6-2 Cons. Semifinals – Ophir Bernstein (Brown) fall Brett Harner (Princeton), 2:49 3rd Place Match – Ophir Bernstein (Brown) dec. Zach Hernandez (Columbia), 6-0

• March 10, 2014 2:11 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Nick Heflin, Logan Stieber Are Crowned Big Ten Champions

In team race, Buckeyes finish fourth with 86.5 points

RELATED INFO.

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State wrestlers Nick Heflin and Logan Stieber joined elite Buckeye company Sunday afternoon after winning Big Ten championships in their respective weight classes at the Kohl Center in Madison, Wis. Heflin, a senior 197-pounder from Massillon, Ohio, captured his first conference title and Stieber, a redshirt-junior 141-pounder from Monroeville, Ohio, became just the second Buckeye to win three league championships. Stieber joins Kevin Randleman (1991-93) in that category.

Heflin and Stieber now have automatically qualified for the 2014 NCAA Championships which will take place March 20-22 at Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City, Okla.

Penn State won the team title with 140.5 points. Iowa was second, accruing 134 points, while Minnesota rounded out the Top 3 with 114.5 points. 

Sunday afternoon, Stieber, the No. 2 seed, answered his 4-3 sudden victory setback in December vs. Penn State’s and No. 1 seed Zain Retherford with a 7-3 victory in the Big Ten 141-pound title match. Stieber, who is the 2012 and 2013 league champion at 133 pounds, has won16 consecutive matches since his loss to Retherford. The 7-3 victory also served as Stieber’s first regular decision win all season. With a 25-1 record, 24 of Stieber’s wins have been bonus-point victories. 

Heflin, who was the 2011 Big Ten runner-up at 174 pounds, earned his 2014 title following a dramatic 5-3 sudden victory vs. No. 1 seed Morgan McIntosh of Penn State. The No. 2 seed, Heflin scored a takedown in the second sudden victory with two seconds remaining. With his 3-0 mark at the Big Ten championships, Heflin recorded his 24th win of the season (24-4) and 95th victory of his career. Since a 3-1 sudden victory loss to Wisconsin’s Tim McCall Jan. 10, Heflin has won 14 consecutive matches.

In addition to Heflin and Stieber, a contingent of other Buckeyes automatically qualified for the NCAA championships following their performances Sunday. Redshirt-sophomore and sixth-seed Kenny Courts finished fifth in the 184-pound bracket. Redshirt-freshman 125-pounder Nick Roberts and redshirt-sophomore 133-pounder Johnni DiJulius were sixth-place finishers. With his seventh-place finish, sophomore 174-pounder Mark Martin earned an automatic spot, as did redshirt-freshman and heavyweight Nick Tavanello with his eighth-place finish.

After dropping his match to Michigan’s and fifth seed Domenic Abounader, 7-0, in wrestlebacks, Courts answered with a 16-6 major decision victory over Illinois’ and No. 8 seed Nikko Reyes in the fifth-place bout.

Although Roberts and DiJulius finished in the Top 6, the duo did drop back-to-back matches Sunday. Roberts did finish above his seeding as he was the eighth seed. In his opening match Sunday, Roberts dropped a close 3-1sv match to No. 3 seed Cory Clark of Iowa. Roberts then fell to sixth seed Tim Lambert of Nebraska in 4:24.

DiJulius placed according to his seeding as a sixth seed. In the opening session of day two of the Big Ten championships, DiJulius lost, 6-3, to Purdue’s and fourth seed Cashé Quiroga. Following his initial loss, DiJulius dropped a 10-4 decision to Illinois’s Zane Richards, a fifth seed.

Martin, a sixth seed, wrestled once Sunday, in the seventh-place bout, and was a 6-2 victor over Michigan’s and No. 8 seed Collin Zeerip.

In his first Big Ten championship, Tavanello fell to No. 7 seed Conor Medbery of Wisconsin in his lone match of the day, but his eighth place still secured the Buckeye a spot in the NCAA championships. 

Although senior 149-pounder Ian Paddock was a seventh-place finisher, the Big Ten was allotted only six places for automatic qualifying. Despite recording a 15-3 major decision victory over Caleb Ervin of Illinois in the seventh-place matchup, Paddock, a sixth seed, will have to wait until Wednesday when he will learn if he will earn a bid to the NCAA championships.

Fellow Buckeyes Randy Languis (157 pounds) and Joe Grandominico (165 pounds) also will wait to find out if they will be heading to Oklahoma City in two weeks.     

#GoBucks

• March 10, 2014 2:14 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Old Dominion University Athletics

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Dechow Wins MAC 184 lb. Championship, ODU Qualifies Six for NCAA's

March 9, 2014

KENT, Ohio - ODU redshirt freshman Jack Dechow won the 184-pound MAC Championship by beating Northern Iowa's All-American Ryan Loder. ODU finished third as a team in the Tournament and qualified six wrestlers for the NCAA's.

"We had a good overall tournament," said ODU Head Coach Steve Martin. "All of our kids wrestled hard and left everything out on the mat. The MAC schedule definitely has prepared us for the NCAA Tournament in Oklahoma City. We opened some eyes with out team performance and our improvement since November with our young team. Our finalists competed hard. Jack Dechow looked great as he defeated Loder for the second time in a row in two weeks and claimed a MAC title. Chris Mecate got caught and pinned in a trick hold in the finals and that was a surprise. Alexander Richardson took it to the No. 1-ranked opponent in the country and lost in overtime in a battle. Billy Curling lost in a controversial match to Cody Walters from Ohio. Brandon Jeske fought back to get third and was in the zone. Tristan Warner punched his ticket through with his win over Brandon Zeerip from EMU. Kevin Beazley and Matt Tourdot both reversed losses to opponents today and left it all out on the mat. We have a lot of confidence right now and are ready to roll for the NCAAs!"

After their performances at the MAC Tournament ODU's Jeske, Mecate, Richardson, Warner, Curling, Dechow all punched their ticket to the NCAA's courtesy of where they placed and the number of automatic qualifiers the MAC received in each weight class. Eight of the ten ODU Wrestlers that competed in the MAC Tournament finished fourth or better in what was Old Dominion's first ever appearance in the Mid-American Conference Tournament.

125-pounder Jeske took third place, 141-pounder Mecate took second place, 149-pounder Richardson took second place, 157-pounder Warner took fourth place, 174-pounder Curling took second place, Dechow won the 184-pound title, Beazley finished with fourth place and Tourdot finished in fourth place.

ODU finished third out of nine teams in the tournament with 97 points. Missouri won the team score with 118.5 points, followed by Northern Iowa with 116 points. Ohio fell behind Old Dominion with 94.5 points.

At 125 pounds, Brandon Jeske began the second day facing off against Missouri's Barlow McGhee. Jeske won with a decisive takedown to earn a 5-3 decision victory and move to the third place consolation final to take on CMU's Corey Keener. For the second time this year Jeske would get the better of Keener, but this time by shutout. Jeske went on to win by a 4-0 decision and finish in third place to earn an NCAA qualifying bid out of the four MAC automatic bids as a true freshman at 125 pounds.

Old Dominion's No. 4-ranked and top-seed Chris Mecate ended yesterday with two decision victories that led him to today's MAC 141-pound Championship. Mecate and UNI's No. 20-ranked Joey Lazor were locked in a scoreless tie before Lazor managed to win by a 3:10 Fall. Despite the second place finish Mecate has earned his second straight NCAA qualifying appearance as a redshirt sophomore.

Sophomore and No. 14-ranked Alexander Richardson won both his matches yesterday to enter the 149-pound MAC Championship against the No. 1-ranked Drake Houdashelt of Missouri. Richardson has faced Houdashelt twice already this year and said following the UNI dual match that he knew he has the stuff to stay with him. He proved that again Sunday by taking the No. 1 in the country to overtime. Unfortunatly Houdashelt pulled out one takedown to earn the 3-1 sudden victory decision. Despite the second place finish, Richardson also qualifies for his second straight NCAA appearance as he earned one of the MAC's four 149-pound automatic bids to the NCAA Tournament.

At 157 pounds, ODU's No. 4-seed Tristan Warner started the second day off against EMU's Brandon Zeerip. Warner managed another 9-2 decision victory to begin the day, which advanced him to the consolation final. Warner took on Missouri's Joseph Lavallee and was pinned at 4:18 to take fourth place. However, Warner's fourth place finish earns him his second NCAA trip in three years as the MAC has five automatic bids at 157 pounds.

Monarchs senior wrestler, No. 18-ranked and top-seed Billy Curling defeated both NIU's Matt Mougin and Cody Caldwell yesterday to earn him a spot in today's 174-pound MAC Championship. Curling would take on Ohio's All-American Cody Walters who he already beat earlier this season. Walters would get the better of Curling for today with a 4-2 decision. For the second straight year Billy Curling also receives an automatic bid into the NCAA's as he finished second out of the MAC's five automatic bids at 174 pounds.

Redshirt freshman, No. 18-ranked and top-seed Jack Dechow earned his way into today's MAC 184-pound Championship by two wins against Ryan Garringer and Cody Johnston. He faced UNI's All-American Ryan Loder for the second time this season and came away victorious with a 4-2 sudden victory overtime win. Dechow hands Loder his second loss in two years (both to Dechow). ODU's 184-pounder earns his first automatic bid into the NCAA's with the 184-pound Championship around his waist.

Old Dominion's redshirt freshman Kevin Beazley began the day with a consolation semifinal match against Kent State's Cole Baxter. Beazley would end up victories with a 4-1 decision win and earn a spot in the MAC 197-pound consolation championship. Beazley would face Northern Illinois wrestler Shawn Scott, who handed Beazley his only loss in the Tournament by way of a riding time point. The third place match would once again come down to a single point as Beazley fell short by a 3-2 decision. The MAC had two automatic bids at 197-pounds and Beazley may still qualify for the NCAA Tournament but would have to earn an at-large bid.

At Heavyweight, ODU's Matt Tourdot began the day with a 3-1 decision win in the consolation semifinals against EMU's Khodar Hoballah. Tourdot would face UNI's Blaize Cabell in the third place match to decide who would claim the 285-pound third and final automatic bid at Heavyweight in the MAC. Cabell got the better of Tourdot with a 8-3 decision, but Tourdot still has a chance at an at-large selection to the NCAA's with his fourth place MAC finish.

On another note, future ODU wrestlers Emilio Saavedra won the California state tournament at his respective weight class, T.C Warner won the Pennsylvania state tournament at his respective weight class and Joey Balboni finished second in the New Jersey state tournament in his respective weight class.

• March 10, 2014 2:16 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Devoy and Palik Earn NCAA Bids as Dragons Conclude Competition at EIWAs

PHILADELPHIA – Kevin Devoy Jr and Brandon Palik punched their tickets to the 2014 NCAA tournament in Oklahoma City as competition concluded at the EIWA Championships at the Palestra on Sunday. All five Dragons that were still in contention after day one finished in eighth place or higher in their respective weight classes. Devoy Jr made it to the 133 lbs. championship finals but finished in second place. Austin Sommer placed fifth at 157, while Noel Blanco and Palik earned seventh place finishes at 149 and 197 respectively and Tanner Shoap ended competition in eighth place at 125.
      Kevin Devoy Jr, who was ranked sixth in the league going into the tournament, won two matches on day one, both by major decision. On day two of competition, he came out strong with a 5-1 decision in sudden victory over #2 Mark Grey of Cornell to advance to the championship finals. Devoy Jr earned a second place finish in the tournament after falling to #1 Mason Beckman of Lehigh, 4-1. Sommer had two victories in the first day of competition, both of which were upsets as he defeated #4 Raamiah Bethea of Penn in the first round and then overcame Army's #5 Paul Hancock with an 8-7 decision. Sommer opened day two with a 6-4 loss to Boston University's #1 Nestor Taffur in the semifinals. In the consolation rounds, he dropped an 8-3 decision to #2 Brian Realbuto of Cornell but then defeated #3 Joseph Napoli of Lehigh by medical forfeit to finish in fifth place at 157.
      Blanco defeated Franklin & Marshall's Sharron Townsend by major decision, but then fell to #1 Christopher Villalonga of Cornell in the second round. Blanco overcame Penn's Andrew Lenzi to finish out competition on Saturday. On Sunday, he lost by fall to #4 Richard Krop of Princeton in the consolation quarterfinals, but then was able to earn a seventh place finish at 149 by defeating Bucknell's #6 Victor Lopez by injury default.
      Palik came out strong on Saturday with a 12-1 major decision over Hayden Hrymack of Rutgers. In the second round, however, he fell to #9 Bryce Barnes of Army to move into the consolation rounds, where he defeated Columbia's Matt Idelson, 5-0. On Sunday, Palik lost a 3-1 decision to #7 Paul Rands of Navy, but then defeated #10 Francis Mattiace of Penn to earn a seventh place finish on the tournament.
      Shoap fell to #6 David White of Binghamton on day one but then defeated Franklin & Marshall's Jason Bing and Navy's Brendan Campbell to continue competition on Sunday in the consolation rounds. On day two, he lost by fall to #5 Darian Cruz of Lehigh and then fell to Boston University's Chris McGinley in the seventh place match. Shoap finished out his first career conference tournament in eighth place at 125. Because of their performance this weekend, both Devoy Jr and Palik will advance to NCAA Championship competition. There is also a possibility for Sommer to receive a wildcard bid into the tournament.
      125:     #6 David White (Binghamton) DEC Tanner Shoap (DU) 8-2              Tanner Shoap (DU) DEC Jason Bing (F&M) 4-0              Tanner Shoap (DU) DEC Brendan Campbell (Navy) 10-7              #5 Darian Cruz (Lehigh) WBF Tanner Shoap (DU) @4:17              Chris McGinley (Boston U) DEC Tanner Shoap (DU) 7-5 ---  8th place 133:      #6 Kevin Devoy Jr (DU) MAJ Garrett Frey (Princeton) 15-2               #6 Kevin Devoy Jr (DU) MAJ Esteban Gomez-Rivera (American) 17-8               #6 Kevin Devoy Jr (DU) DEC #2 Mark Grey (Cornell) 5-1 SV               #1 Mason Beckman (Lehigh) DEC #6 Kevin Devoy Jr (DU) 4-1 --- 2nd place 141:      Jordan Laster (Princeton) DEC David Pearce (DU) 5-1               David Pearce (DU) DEC Nick Tighe (Binghamton) 6-3               Jeff Canfora (Penn) DEC David Pearce (DU) 5-4 149:      #8 Noel Blanco (DU) MAJ Sharron Townsend (F&M) 10-1               #1 Christopher Villalonga (Cornell) MAJ #8 Noel Blanco (DU) 9-0               #8 Noel Blanco (DU) DEC Andrew Lenzi (Penn) 9-4               #4 Richard Krop (Princeton) WBF #8 Noel Blanco (DU) @3:52               #8 Noel Blanco (DU) def. #6 Victor Lopez (Bucknell) inj. 0:18 --- 7th place 157:      Austin Sommer (DU) DEC #4 Raamiah Bethea (Penn) 11-9               Austin Sommer (DU) DEC  #5 Paul Hancock (Army) 8-7               #1 Nestor Taffur (Boston U) DEC Austin Sommer (DU) 6-4               #2 Brian Realbuto (Cornell) DEC Austin Sommer (DU) 8-3               Austin Sommer (DU) def. #3 Joseph Napoli (Lehigh) by medical forfeit --- 5th place 165:      Philip Marano (Brown) DEC Jason Fugiel (DU) 5-2               Judson Ziegler (Princeton) DEC Jason Fugiel (DU) 3-0 174:      #8 Bradley Wukie (Penn) DEC Kevin Matyas (DU) 9-4               #1 Elliot Riddick (Lehigh) MAJ Kevin Matyas (DU) 16-5 184:      Cameron Croy (Harvard) DEC Alex DeCiantis (DU) 5-2               James Mannier (Navy) DEC Alex DeCiantis (DU) 3-1 197:      #1 Brandon Palik (DU) MAJ Hayden Hrymack (Rutgers) 12-1               #9 Bryce Barnes (Army) DEC #1 Brandon Palik (DU) 8-6               #1 Brandon Palik (DU) DEC Matt Idelson (Columbia) 5-0               #7 Paul Rands (Navy) DEC #1 Brandon Palik (DU) 3-1               #1 Brandon Palik (DU) DEC #10 Francis Mattiace (Penn) 2-1 --- 7th place 285:      #8 Steven Graziano (Penn) DEC Joseph Giorgio (DU) 2-1               Ryder Cavey (Brown) DEC Joseph Giorgio (DU) 5-0

• March 10, 2014 2:17 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hartmann, Kerr-Brown Take 3rd at ACC Championships

March 8, 2014

BLACKSBURG, Va. – Duke redshirt sophomore Conner Hartmann
      captured his second straight berth in the NCAA Wrestling Championships today
      with a third-place finish at the 2014 ACC Wrestling Championships at Cassell
      Coliseum. Redshirt junior Immanuel Kerr-Brown also took third place overall at
      157 pounds.

“It’s really good to see results,” said Kerr-Brown. “I put in a
      lot of hard work and it’s good to see these results. It’s tangible. I went from
      never placing to being third this year. I’m really happy about it.”

Hartmann grabbed one of five automatic bids awarded to the ACC at
      the 197-pound division, while Kerr-Brown will await word from the NCAA whether
      he gets one of the at-large berths. The ACC received just two automatic bids at
      157 pounds. Duke finished seventh overall with 18 points.

“It’s a good feeling [knowing I’m already in NCAAs],” said
      Hartmann. “I went into the tournament expecting I was going to qualify. I did
      the same thing last year, but there was a lot more uncertainty then so it’s
      great not to have that this year.”

In his opening match of the day, Hartmann suffered a
      heart-breaking 4-3 quadruple overtime setback to No. 4 seed Zach Nye of
      Virginia.  With both wrestlers managing a single point during regulation, the
      pair traded single escape points in overtime until the riding time tiebreaker
      decided the match. Nye started the second tiebreak overtime down and escaped
      quickly, giving Hartmann 10 seconds of riding time. Hartmann, needing to get out
      in fewer than 10 seconds took one second too many as riding time went to Nye’s
      favor for one second. The loss was his fourth ACC defeat by a single point this
      season.

Hartmann rebounded in strong fashion with a gutsy 4-3 win over
      No. 2 seed Nick Bonaccorsi of Pittsburgh to assure him a spot in the NCAA
      Championships field and set up a rematch with familiar foe Christian Boley of
      Maryland.

“I went into my second match and I didn’t feel very good at all,”
      Hartmann said. “I barely won and I was thinking ‘Oh no, this isn’t feeling good
      at all and my next match will be against a good guy.’ So I just decided I had to
      shut it all out and just wrestle like I had planned on all season.”

Wrestling for the fourth time in two seasons, this match did not
      disappoint as they wrestled to a 1-1 stalemate in regulation. Neither Hartmann
      nor Boley was able to score in the sudden victory period despite a frantic
      scramble in the closing seconds. After riding out the first 30 second tiebreak,
      Hartmann quickly escaped from Boley’s grasp and then added a takedown to seal
      the 4-1 victory and third place overall.

Hartmann is Duke’s 11th wrestler to earn multiple berths in the
      NCAA Championships and the first to do so since Konrad Dudziak in 2009 and 2010.
      He is the first Duke wrestler to advances to the NCAA postseason event in his
      first two seasons.

Kerr-Brown started his day with a strong with a 5-2 decision over
      Pittsburgh’s Ronnie Garbinsky to advance to the semifinals. The native of Rome,
      Ga., scored an early takedown and never relinquished control of the match en
      route to his 23rd win of the season.

In the semifinal, Kerr-Brown was looking to avenge his lone ACC
      loss of the season to NC State’s Thomas Gantt. The Duke captain and Gantt
      battled evenly but a late escape and takedown by Gantt bumped Kerr-Brown down to
      the consolation bracket where he outlasted Jacob Crawford 6-5 and cruised past
      Sal Mastriani of Virginia Tech 14-5 to earn a spot on the podium. Prior to this
      season, Kerr-Brown had just one win at the ACC Championship.

“It was a lot of fun to wrestle well and finish the day that
      way,” Kerr-Brown said of his convincing win over Mastriani. “Of course it’s
      always kind of cool to do it against a Virginia Tech guy at home.”

Rookies Connor Bass and Jacob Kasper both advanced to consolation
      semifinals as did redshirt freshman Evan Botwin in his first ACC Championships
      appearance. Bass narrowly missed earning one of the four bids to NCAA
      Championships at 149 pounds with a 3-2 decision to top-seeded Augustus Sako of
      Virginia.

Redshirt sophomore Trey Adamson also fell just short of having
      the chance to vie for a spot on the podium with an overtime loss to Austin
      Gabel. Adamson finished his season with an 18-13 record. Marcus Cain (165) and
      Brendan Walsh (285) also had their days ended in the consolation semifinals.

ACC Championships Results for Duke
      133 - Evan Botwin
          QF
      - Dennis Gustafson (VT) won by maj. decision over Evan Botwin (Duke) (MD
      13-3)
          Cons. Round 1 - Evan Botwin (Duke) won by fall over Brendan Calas
      (NC State) (Fall 1:04)
          Cons. Semi - Shelton Mack (Pitt) won by major
      decision over Evan Botwin (Duke) (MD 17-6)

141 - Xaviel Ramos
          QF - Edgar Bright (Pittsburgh) won by
      fall over Xaviel Ramos (Duke) (Fall 2:21)
          Cons. Round 1 - Sam Speno (NC
      State) won by decision over Xaviel Ramos (Duke) (Dec 8-1)

149 - Connor Bass
          Quarterfinal - Zach Neibert (VT) won by
      major decision over Connor Bass (Duke) 1-2 (MD 12-3)
          Cons. Round 1 -
      Connor Bass (Duke) won by fall over Brian Hamann (NC State) (Fall 6:50)

Cons. Semi - Augustus Sako (Virginia) won by decision over Connor Bass (Duke)
      (Dec 3-2)

157 - Immanuel Kerr-Brown placed 3rd and scored 6.50 team
          QF - Immanuel Kerr-Brown (Duke) won by decision over Ronnie
      Garbinsky (Pitt) (Dec 5-2)
          Semifinal - Thomas Gantt (NC State) won by
      decision over Immanuel Kerr-Brown (Duke) (Dec 7-3)
          Cons. Semi - Immanuel
      Kerr-Brown (Duke) won by decision over Jacob Crawford (UNC) (Dec 6-5)
          3rd
      Place - Immanuel Kerr-Brown (Duke) won by major decision over Sal Mastriani (VT)
      (MD 14-5)

165 - Marcus Cain
          QF - Geno Morelli (Pitt) won by decision
      over Marcus Cain (Duke) (Dec 4-2)
          Cons. Semi - Chris Moon (VT) won by
      major decision over Marcus Cain (Duke) (MD 10-2)

174 - Trey Adamson
          QF - Pete Renda (NC State) won by
      decision over Trey Adamson (Duke) (Dec 7-3)
          Cons. Round 1 - Trey Adamson
      (Duke) won by decision over Scott Marmoll (North Carolina) (Dec 7-2)

Cons. Semi - Austin Gabel (VT ) won in sudden victory - 1 over Trey Adamson
      (Duke) (SV-1 6-4)

184 - Jacob Kasper
          QF - Nick Vetterlein (VT) won by
      decision over Jacob Kasper (Duke) (Dec 3-1)
          Cons. Rd 1 - Jacob Kasper
      (Duke) won by decision over Michael Macchiavello (NC State) (Dec 4-0)

Cons. Semi - Jonathan Fausey (Virginia) won by decision over Jacob Kasper
      (Duke) (Dec 6-2)

197 - Conner Hartmann (19-9) placed 3rd and scored 5.00 team
          QF - Zach Nye (Virginia) won in TB-2 by riding time over Conner
      Hartmann (Duke) (TB-2 (RT) 4-3)
          Cons. Semi - Conner Hartmann (Duke) won
      by decision over Nick Bonaccorsi (Pitt) (Dec 4-3)
          3rd Place - Conner
      Hartmann (Duke) won in tie breaker - 1 over Christian Boley (Maryland) (TB-1
      4-1)

285 - Brendan Walsh
          QF - Patrick Tasser (Pitt) 17-9 won by
      major decision over Brendan Walsh (Duke) (MD 10-2)
          Cons. Round 1 -
      Brendan Walsh (Duke) won by decision over Robert Coe (North Carolina) (Dec
      10-3)
          Cons. Semi - Ty Walz (Virginia Tech) won by fall over Brendan Walsh
      (Duke) (Fall 5:25)

#GoDuke

• March 10, 2014 2:28 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Complete results from the 2014 Big Ten Wrestling Championships are attached

March 9, 2014

IOWA WRESTLING

RAMOS WINS BIG TEN TITLE, HAWKEYES PLACE SECOND

MADISON, Wis. – University of Iowa senior Tony Ramos won the 133-pound Big Ten title during championship round action of the conference tournament Sunday at the Kohl Center. The Hawkeyes finished second in the team standings with 135 points, trailing only Penn State’s 140.5 points.

Nine Iowa wrestlers finished in the top-five of their respective brackets, the most of any school. All nine placewinners earned an automatic berth to the 2014 NCAA Championships.

“I believe that we have a team to win it here and I believe we have a team to win it in a couple of weeks, that’s how you go forward,” said UI head coach Tom Brands. “That’s what our next mission is. We have to get ready for the next tournament. Even if we come out on top (here), there are things to work on and there are things to work on now. It’s the same either way. We have to go to work.”

The top-seeded Ramos earned his first career Big Ten Championship by downing second-seeded Tyler Graff of Wisconsin, 2-1. Ramos, who finished second at the 2012 and 2013 Big Ten Championships, used a second period escape and 1:37 of riding time to defeat Graff.

“It didn’t go exactly the way I wanted, but I got the win,” said Ramos. “I wanted to win this one in regulation and I’m walking out of here with the title. It was a lot of fun and the fans were great. Wisconsin did a great job hosting this tournament.”

Iowa also recorded four runner-up finishes. Derek St. John (157), Nick Moore (165), Mike Evans (174) and Ethen Lofthouse (184) all placed second at their respective weights.

Junior Bobby Telford posted a pair of wins Sunday, wrestling back from a first round defeat to finish third at 285. Telford began his day with a 3-1 victory over Northwestern’s Michael McMullan in the consolation semifinal, and downed Mike McClure of Michigan State, 3-2, in the consolation finals. Telford rallied from a two-point deficit to defeat the sixth-seeded McClure, registering two escapes and 1:18 of riding time.

Cory Clark dropped a 9-5 decision in the consolation finals to place fourth at 125. Josh Dziewa and Nathan Burak placed fifth at 141 and 197, respectively.

Iowa returns to the mat March 20-22 at the NCAA Championships in Oklahoma City. The NCAA will announce the tournament field Wednesday, March 12.

“We have to be strong and we have to go forward, and we have the team for that,” said Brands. “We have the mental makeup for that with this team and the emotional make up. We have a lot of good guys and we need to win more matches.”

Notes: Attendance was 10,111… Total attendance was 28, 442… Ramos is the 110th Big Ten Champion in school history… Iowa’s 110 Big Ten Champions has combined for 191 conference titles… Ramos is the 11th Big Ten Champion under head coach Tom Brands…

FINAL TEAM STANDINGS

Penn State – 140.5

Iowa - 135

Minnesota – 118.5

Ohio State – 86.5

Nebraska - 79

Illinois – 78.5

Wisconsin - 73

Michigan – 71.5

Northwestern - 58

Indiana - 37

Purdue – 34.5

Michigan State – 21.5

FINAL RESULTS

133 - #1 Tony Ramos (Iowa) dec. #2 Tyler Graff (Wisc), 2-1

157 - #2 James Green (Nebraska) dec. #4 Derek St. John (Iowa), 7-4

165 - #1 David Taylor (Penn State) major dec. #3 Nick Moore (Iowa), 14-5

174 - #1 Robert Kokesh (Neb) dec. #3 Mike Evans (Iowa), 6-4

184 - #1 Ed Ruth (Penn State) major dec. #3 Ethen Lofthouse (Iowa), 10-2

THIRD-PLACE RESULTS

125 - #4 Ryan Taylor (Wisc) dec. #3 Cory Clark (Iowa), 9-5

285 - #4 Bobby Telford (Iowa) dec. #6 Mike McClure (MSU), 3-2

FIFTH-PLACE RESULTS

141 - #5 Josh Dziewa (Iowa) dec. #7 Steven Rodrigues (Ill), 3-2

197 - #5 Nathan Burak (Iowa) dec. #4 Braden Atwood (Pur), 2-1

CONSOLATION SEMIFINALS RESULTS

125 – #3 Cory Clark (Iowa) dec. #8 Nick Roberts (OSU), 3-1 SV1

141 - #3 Chris Dardanes (Minn) dec. #5 Josh Dziewa (Iowa), 5-2

197 - #7 Alex Polizzi (NW) dec. #5 Nathan Burak (Iowa), 4-3

285 - #4 Bobby Telford (Iowa) dec. #3 Michael McMullan (NW), 3-1

• March 10, 2014 2:31 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Jim Andrassy post tournament comments

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxwE12_tUQo&feature=youtu.be

Highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU9zOGWtFmQ&list=UU5i_E8hrUZode3b-xyH3aSQ

KENT, Ohio – Sophomore Ian Miller continued to dominate from his feet Sunday on the way to his second conference tournament title during the 2014 Mid-American Conference Wrestling Championships inside the M.A.C. Center.  Joining Miller with NCAA automatic qualifying spots were sophomores Michael DePalma and Mack McGuire, who each claimed third places.

Behind four takedowns and riding time, Miller secured a 9-4 victory over Central Michigan’s Luke Smith in the finals.  Miller converted a pair of duck-unders for first period takedowns including one in the final seconds.  A Smith escape in the second cut the lead to 4-2, but Miller continued to attack and scored takedowns in the second and third periods.  

“When I’m able to get my offense going, it’s hard to stop,” Miller said. 

DePalma worked his two-on-one tilt in each of his two victories Sunday, downing Northern Illinois’ Rob Jillard 10-3 and top-seeded Tywon Claxton (Ohio) 5-0.  DePalma clung to a 1-0 lead after two periods in his third place match against Claxton, before putting him on his back for a five-count to seal the victory.

McGuire avenged an earlier season loss to Eastern Michigan’s Vincent Pizzuto with a 4-2 victory in his consolation semifinal.  McGuire’s third period reversal proved to be the difference maker.  He then won his third place match by medical forfeit over Northern Illinois’ Nick Smith.

Sophomores Cole Baxter and Tyler Buckwalter each grabbed fifth places.  Despite losing to Central Michigan’s Nick Becker 4-1 on Saturday, Buckwalter repaid the favor Sunday with a 6-3 decision with takedowns in the first and second periods. 

Baxter topped Northern Iowa’s Jared Bartel 6-2 in his fifth place bout.  Baxter slipped through a Bartel headlock attempt for a first period takedown and jumped out to a 4-0 lead with a reversal early in the second period.

Baxter, Caleb Marsh and Tyler Small will keep their fingers crossed for NCAA at-large bids to be announced during the week.

As a team, Kent State finished in sixth place with 67 points.  For the second straight season, Missouri won the team title.  The Tigers’ 118.5 points edged Northern Iowa’s 116 points.

Miller, DePalma and McGuire will compete at the 2014 NCAA Championships March 20-22 inside Oklahoma City’s Chesapeake Energy Center.

• March 10, 2014 2:33 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Nick Smith, Rob Jillard Clinch NCAA Auto Bids at MAC
      Championships

Seniors Smith and Jillard
      extend NIU's national tournament appearance streak to 43 years

Final Brackets

KENT, Ohio -
      Seniors Nick Smith and Rob Jillard helped the
      Northern Illinois University wrestling team extend their postseason run Sunday
      in Kent, Ohio, as both clinched automatic berths to the NCAA tournament on the
      MAC Championships' final day.

Smith and
      Jillard each took fourth place finishes at 133 and 149, respectively, while
      Shawn Scott (third - 197), Shaun'Qae McMurtry (fourth - 165) and Jared Torrence
      (fifth - 285) also found their way onto the podium. As a team, the Huskies took
      eighth place with 50 points, as Missouri sneaked past Northern Iowa to win its
      second consecutive conference crown.

"Nick did a
      great job staying in position and wrestling where he is best," said NIU head
      coach Ryan Ludwig. "It paid off for him today with a bid to the NCAA
      Championships."

Smith punched his first-career ticket to the NCAA
      tournament early in the day with a win over Missouri's Matt Manley. After
      building a 7-1 lead early in the second period, the NIU senior was able to flip
      Manley and pinned him to officially clinch the auto bid. With that berth in
      hand, Smith conceded the third-place match to Mack McGuire of Kent
      State.

Meanwhile, Jillard took a less-conventional path to his
      NCAA berth - the second of his career and the first since 2011 when he was a
      freshman at Liberty University. After dropping a consolation semifinal match to
      KSU's Mike DePalma, 10-3, the senior bounced back with a 9-3 win over Central
      Michigan's Scott Mattingly in the fifth-place match. Jillard returned to the mat
      moments later to challenge Tywan Claxton of Ohio for fourth place, a match he
      would win via a 4-0 decision.

"Rob
      wrestled and amazingly hard-fought match with both guys and came out
      victorious," Ludwig said. "He was as focused and determined as I've seen
      him."

At 165, Shaun'Qae McMurtry's run for an automatic NCAA
      tournament spot fell just short. The redshirt freshman opened the day with an
      8-4 win over KSU's Tyler Buckwalter to advance to the third-place match against
      Zach Toal of Missouri - the same individual whom McMurtry upset in yesterday's
      quarterfinals. Yet, it was the nationally-ranked Toal who flipped the script
      with a 6-3 decision against McMurtry.

Shawn Scott
      also came within one match of clinching a national berth. After dispatching
      Northern Iowa's Jared Bartel in the consolation semifinals with a 3-2 overtime
      win, the redshirt freshman claimed third place with a close 3-2 triumph against
      Old Dominion's Kevin Beazley. In the true second match against Phil Wellington
      of Ohio, though, Scott came just short, dropping a 5-2 decision to give the
      MAC's second auto bid at 197 to Wellington.

Heavyweight
      Jared Torrence ended the tournament in fifth place. Following a 4-2 defeat
      against UNI's Blaize Cabell, the redshirt senior capped the day with a
      convincing 5-1 win over Khodar Hoballah of Eastern Michigan.

The Huskies'
      season concludes in two weeks when they head to Oklahoma City, Okla., for the
      2014 NCAA Championships. The tournament starts Thursday, March 20, and runs
      through Saturday, March 22.

133: Nick Smith - Fourth Place
      (NCAA Qualifier)

Nick Smith (NIU)
      pins Matt Manley (Missouri), 4:08

Mack
      McGuire (Kent State) wins by forfeit over Nick Smith (NIU)

149: Rob Jillard - Fourth Place
      (NCAA Qualifier)

Mike DePalma (Kent
      State) dec. Rob Jillard (NIU), 10-3

Rob
      Jillard (NIU) dec. Scott Mattingly (Central Michigan), 9-3

Rob Jillard (NIU) dec. Tywan Claxton (Ohio),
      4-0

165: Shaun'Qae McMurtry - Fourth
      Place

Shaun'Qae McMurtry (NIU) dec.
      Tyler Buckwalter (Kent State), 8-4

Zach
      Toal (Missouri) dec. Shaun'Qae McMurtry (NIU), 6-3

197: Shawn Scott - Third
      Place

Shawn Scott (NIU) dec. Jared
      Bartel (Northern Iowa), 3-2 (OT)

Shawn
      Scott (NIU dec. Kevin Beazley (Old Dominion), 3-2

Phil Wellington (Ohio) dec. Shawn Scott (NIU),
      5-2

285: Jared Torrence - Fifth
      Place

Blaize Cabell (Northern Iowa)
      dec. Jared Torrence (NIU), 4-2

Jared
      Torrence (NIU) dec. Khodar Hoballah (Eastern Michigan), 5-1

• March 10, 2014 2:40 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Walters and Johnson Earn Individual MAC Wrestling Crowns

Bobcats place fourth with 94.5 points

March 9, 2014

KENT, Ohio – The Ohio University Wrestling team finished fourth at the 2014 Mid-American Conference Championships Sunday afternoon at the M.A.C. Center. The two-day event was held on the campus ofKent State University.

Senior Jeremy Johnson (Broadview Heights, Ohio) and sophomore Cody Walters (Macedonia, Ohio) highlighted day two competition for the Bobcats as they both claimed individual titles at heavyweight and at 174, respectively.

With the wins, both Johnson and Walters captured their second career MAC titles.

Johnson captured his second individual crown in three years after he defeated Missouri’s Drake Houdashelt, 7-1.

Walters successfully defended his 174 pound individual crown as he edged out Old Dominion’s Billy Curling 4-2. With his victory at 174, Ohio has now claimed each of the last three titles at 174.

Sophomore Phil Wellington (Euclid, Ohio) and junior Harrison Hightower (Strongsville,Ohio) dropped their respective bouts at 197 and 165, respectively. Wellington would go on to claim a 5-2 victory over Northern Illinois’ Shawn Scott to secure his bid to the NCAA Championships.

Sophomore Spartak Chino (Wheaton, Ill.) turned in a strong second day performance as he went 1-1 to finish fifth at 157 pounds and in the process earn the league’s automatic bid to the NCAA Championships. Chino pinned Eastern Michigan’s Bradndon Zeerip (6:23) to punch his ticket to nationals for the second-consecutive season.

Junior Tywan Claxton (South Euclid, Ohio) fell twice on Sunday and finished fifth.Claxton dropped decisions to Kent State’s Michael Depalma (5-0) and Northern Illinois’ Robert Jillard (4-0).

Sophomore KeVon Powell (Romeoville, Ill.) and junior Ryan Garringer (Downers Grove, Ill.) rounded out competition as they placed fifth and sixth, respectively.

Ohio has five competitors that have earned automatic bids to the NCAA Championships in Oklahoma City, Okla. The 2014 NCAA Championships are set to begin on March 20 in Oklahoma City, Okla.

Final Team Standings 1. Missouri, 118.5 2. Northern Iowa, 116 3. Old Dominion, 97 4. Ohio, 94.5 5. Central Michigan, 57.5 6. Kent State, 67 7. Eastern Michigan, 57.5 8. Northern Illinois, 50 9. Buffalo, 12.5

• March 10, 2014 2:41 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

FIGHTING
      ILLINI WRESTLING

Delgado
      Wins Second Straight Conference Title

Illinois
      finishes sixth at B1G Championships with 78.5 points

MADISON,
      Wis. —
      Illinois junior Jesse Delgado won his second straight conference
      title at the 2014 Big Ten Wrestling Championships on Sunday. The second-seeded
      Illini defeated No. 1 seed Nico Megaludis 3-2 in double overtime to help lead
      the Orange & Blue to a sixth-place finish with 78.5 points. Eight other
      Illini earned spots on the podium with top-eight finishes, including fifth-place
      finishes from Zane Richards, Jackson Morse and Tony Dallago.

“There
      are always a ton of mixed emotions after a tournament like this,” said head
      coach Jim Heffernan. “There are matches and certain situations that could have
      changed the outcome. There’s some matches that you would love to have the chance
      to have back.”

No.
      2 Delgado squared off against Penn State’s top-seeded Nico Megaludis in the
      championship final, marking the sixth career meeting between the two wrestlers.
      After a scoreless first period, Delgado started on top and controlled Megaludis
      for the majority of the second period. Megaludis managed to escape with 30
      seconds left to take the 1-0 lead going into the final period. In the third,
      Delgado quickly escaped from the bottom position to tie the score at 1-1 and
      send the bout into overtime. After a scoreless first overtime period, the match
      went into double overtime where each wrestler recorded an escape in the
      30-second tie breaker periods. However, Delgado claimed the riding time
      advantage to win 3-2 and capture his second straight conference title.

“I
      am never surprised with the success Jesse has,” said Heffernan. “He and
      Megaludis have a great rivalry and those matches are always going to be a war. 
      It is always a good thing to have a conference champion, both individually and
      for the program. Jesse has his eyes set more on the NCAA championships.”

Five
      Illini competed in the fifth-place bouts on Sunday. Zane Richards (133), Jackson
      Morse (165) and Tony Dallago (174) notched victories to place fifth, while
      Steven Rodrigues (141) and Nikko Reyes (184) dropped their matches to place
      sixth. No. 5 Richards defeated No. 6 Johnni DiJulius (OSU) 10-4 while Jackson
      Morse beat Austin Wilson (NEB) 6-2 to record his highest Big Ten Championships
      finish. No. 5 Tony Dallago earned a spot on the podium for the fourth time in
      his career when he defeated No. Scott Liegel of Wisconsin 6-4. No. 7 Steven
      Rodrigues dropped a close 3-2 bout to No. 5 Josh Dziewa and No. 8 Nikko Reyes
      fell to No. 6 Kenny Courts 16-6, but both earned sixth-place finishes in their
      first-ever Big Ten Championships.

“Zane
      Richards, Jackson Morse and Tony Dallago did a very good job coming back in the
      consolations and winning,” said Heffernan. “My feeling is that it is very
      important to win your last match of the tournament heading into the NCAA
      Championships, so they were all great wins.”

No.
      7 Zac Brunson (157) defeated No. 5 Dylan Alton of Penn State to place seventh in
      his first conference championships. The redshirt freshman dropped his regular
      season bout to Alton back in January, but came away with the 13-4 major decision
      victory on Sunday. Caleb Ervin squared off against No. 6 Ian Paddock (OSU) in
      the 149-pound battle for seventh-place, but lost a 15-3 major decision to finish
      in eighth place, earning him a spot on the podium for the second straight year.
      No. 6 Mario Gonzalez was set to face No. 8 Timmy McCall of Wisconsin in the
      seventh-place bout at 197 pounds, but an injury default bumped him down to an
      eighth-place finish.

Additionally,
      eight Illini automatically qualified for the NCAA Championships based on their
      finish at the conference tournament. Delgado, Richards, Rodrigues, Brunson,
      Morse, Dallago, Reyes and Gonzalez all secured a spot at the national
      championships, which will take place March 20-22 in Oklahoma City, Okla.

“Having
      eight guys qualify means we have eight guys that can score for us at the
      national tournament,” said Heffernan. “Each guy needs to understand what a huge
      opportunity they have and make the most of it.”

Final
      Team Standings

Penn State 140.5

Iowa 134

Minnesota 114.5

Ohio State 86.5

Nebraska 79.0

ILLINOIS 78.5

Wisconsin 73

Michigan 71.5

Northwestern 57

Indiana 37

Purdue 34.5

Michigan State 21.5

• March 10, 2014 2:43 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wrestling: Booth Wins Title And Four NCAA-Bound As Hofstra Places Fourth At EIWAs Courtesy: Hofstra Athletic Communications Release: Sunday, March 9, 2014

WREST: Rob Anspach Postmatch at the EIWA Championships (3/9/14)

WREST: Joe Booth Postmatch at the EIWA Championships (3/9/14)

Final EIWA Team Standings

Final EIWA Brackets

Philadelphia, PA – Graduate-student Joe Booth became Hofstra’s first EIWA champion and four Hofstra wrestlers have qualified for the upcoming 2014 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships in Oklahoma City as the 2014 Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association Championships wrapped up at the Palestra on the campus of the University of Pennsylvania Sunday evening.
      Booth at 165, seniors Luke Vaith at 141 and Jamie Franco at 125, and junior Cody Ruggirello at 149 have all qualified through the EIWA’s allocation bids, 46 in total, from the NCAA. Booth took home the gold while Vaith placed second, Ruggirello finished fourth and Franco placed sixth.
      The Pride began the second and final day of the EIWA Championships with five wrestlers in contention including four in the championship brackets. Booth, the second seed, advanced to the finals with a 3-2 decision over Casey Kent from UPenn before grabbing the title against top-seed Dylan Palacio from Cornell, 6-4 with a takedown in sudden victory. Booth (32-7) will be making his fourth NCAA Championship appearance and first as a conference champion.
      Vaith, the number three seed, advanced to the finals with a 3-0 victory over the number two seed, Mike Nevinger from Cornell before falling to Harvard’s Todd Preston, 8-6 in the second sudden victory period. Vaith (28-6) will be making his third NCAA Championship appearance.
      Franco, the number three seed at 125, had already clinched a spot in the NCAA Tournament Saturday night with the EIWA’s six bids, was pinned at the 2:00 mark in his championship semifinal match against second-seed David Terao from American. He lost a heart-breaking 3-2 decision to Darian Cruz from Lehigh in the consolation semifinals before winning a medical forfeit decision against Paul Petrov from Bucknell in the fifth-place match. Franco (21-13) will be making his third NCAA Championship appearance.
      Junior Cody Ruggirello, the number three seed, became the third brother combination in Hofstra Wrestling history to earn a berth in the NCAA Championship by placing fourth at 149. He dropped his championship semifinal match to Lehigh’s Mitch Minotti, 12-5 but defeated Princeton’s Richard Krop, 7-4, in the consolation semifinals to earn his berth. Ruggirello took a medical forfeit in the third-place match. Cody and his brother Lou (2008-09, 11), are the third set of Hofstra brothers to advance to the NCAA Championships following Anthony (1985) and Michael Arena (1986-88), and Michael (2003, 2005-07) and Ryan Patrovich (2008-09, 2011). This is Cody Ruggirello’s first NCAA Championship bid.
      A fifth Hofstra wrestler, red-shirt freshman Frank Affronti, just missed out on earning one of the EIWA bids. Starting out Sunday in the consolation bracket, Affronti defeated Cornell’s George Pickett, 7-2 before posting a 10-0 major decision over second-seed Shane Hughes from Columbia in the semis. With only three bids at 174, the winner of the third-place match would advance to the NCAA Championships. Unfortunately, the Pride grappler dropped a 2-1 decision to top-seed Elliot Riddick from Lehigh on a first period takedown.
      Hofstra finished in fourth place with 81 points as the Big Red of Cornell captured the team title with 165.5 points. Lehigh was second with 101 points while Rutgers was third with 91 points.

Jim Sheehan

Senior Sports Information Director Hofstra University Swim Center - Suite 262 1000 Hempstead Turnpike

Hempstead, NY 11550 (516) 463-6764 -Office

(516) 523-6692 - Cell (516) 463-5033 - Fax Jim.B.Sheehan@hofstra.edu

jim.sheehannyc - Skype

• March 12, 2014 12:35 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wrestling: NCAA Championship Brackets To Be Unveiled On Wednesday

Courtesy: Hofstra Athletic Communications

For Release: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 Hempstead, NY – The NCAA will unveil the field and the brackets for the 2014 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships set for March 20-22 at the Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City, on Wednesday, March 12.Hofstra, which joined the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association last spring after a highly-successful 12-year tenure in the Colonial Athletic Association that included 11 team championships, earned four qualifiers through the EIWA Championships last weekend at the University of Pennsylvania. Graduate-student Joe Booth at 165, seniors Luke Vaith at 141 and Jamie Franco at 125 and junior Cody Ruggirello at 149 will all be making the trip to Oklahoma City next week.Booth (32-7), who captured Hofstra’s first EIWA title, will be making his fourth NCAA Championship appearance and his first as a member of the Pride. Vaith (28-6), who placed second at the EIWA Championships, will be making his third NCAA trip. Franco (21-13), who placed fifth at the EIWAs, will also be making his third trip to the national tournament. Ruggirello (25-9), who placed fourth at the EIWA Championships, will be making his debut in the NCAA Championships.Cody Ruggirello, and his brother Lou, who wrested for the Pride from 2006 through 2011 and was a four-time NCAA qualifier and a 2011 All-American, are just the third brother-tandem in Hofstra history to qualify for the NCAA Championships. Previously, Anthony (1983 & 1985) and Michael Arena (1987, 1988), and, most recently, Michael (2003, 2005-07) and Ryan Patrovich (2008, 2009, 2011) were NCAA qualifiers.

The NCAA will release each set of qualifiers (in alphabetical order) on NCAA.com over the course of the day on Wednesday beginning with heavyweights at 1 p.m. ET and continuing with a new weight class each half hour (197 pounds at 1:30; 184 pounds at 2 p.m.; etc.). The link will be shared on the NCAA Wrestling social media channels on both Twitter (@NCAAWrestling) and Facebook (NCAA Wrestling).

The day will conclude with the NCAA Wrestling Selection Show at 6 p.m. ET on NCAA.com where the seeds and brackets will be unveiled for each weight class. During the Selection Show, the NCAA will also reveal details on the championship match order for Session VI on Saturday night. The full release and brackets will be posted on NCAA.com immediately after the show.

• March 13, 2014 1:57 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Parisi, Cottrell Among 285 NCAA Field

BOONE, N.C. — Appalachian State University wrestling duo were
      named on Wednesday as two of the 285 student-athletes that qualified
      automatically through the conference and regional tournaments during the past
      two weekends to wrestle in the NCAA Division 1 Wrestling
      Championships.

After being crowned conference champions in their
      respective weight classes, redshirt junior Dominic Parisi (Concord, N.C./Jay M.
      Robinson) and redshirt freshman Dylan Cottrell (Spencer, W.Va./Roane County)
      names were selected during the all-day selection show by the NCAA wrestling
      committee.

Brackets revealed that Parisi, who won the Southern Conference
      title at the 125-pound weight class, will have to face off against 14th-seeded
      Edward Kilmara of Oklahoma State. This will be the second year that Parisi will
      start the tournament against a top-15 seeded wrestler. Last year, he found some
      victory knocking off both the No. 5 and No. 12 seeds.

Cottrell will enter
      the tournament for the first time and hold a 12 seed at the 149-pound weight
      class. He will face James English of Penn State in the first round. Cottrell
      finished the season with a 26-1 record and have won 18 matches in a row. He
      enjoyed success this season by winning the SoCon freshman of the year award and
      going 3-0 in the conference tournament to take home first place.

Action
      from the Division I Wrestling Chmapionhips will take place at Chesapeake Energy
      Arena in Oklahoma City, Ok on March 20-22.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

UVU’s Adam Fager receives at-large selection to
      NCAA Championships

The Wolverines will now send a program best four
      wrestlers to next week’s NCAA Championships.

March 12, 2014

NCAA Release | Brackets

INDIANAPOLIS - The NCAA handed out its at-large
      selections to next week's Division I Wrestling Championships on Wednesday and
      Utah Valley University heavyweight Adam Fager made the cut. With the additional bid, the
      Wolverines will now send a program high four wrestlers to nationals.

Fager, who was ranked 12th on the final NCAA Coaches'
      Panel Ranking and 15th on the latest RPI at heavyweight, received the at-large
      berth after going 18-7 on the season and placing second at last week's NCAA West
      Regional/Western Wrestling Conference Championships. The 2014 NCAA Championships
      will mark the Wolverine junior's second straight trip as he also represented UVU
      at the Big Show last year.

In all 45 at-large wrestlers were selected on Wednesday.
      The group will join 285 student-athletes that qualified automatically through
      the conference and regional qualifying tournaments during the past two weekends.
      The at-large selections were made by the NCAA Division I Wrestling Committee
      using a selection criteria: head-to-head competition, quality wins, results
      against common opponents, winning percentage, rating percentage index, coaches
      ranking, qualifying event placement, and number of matches contested at that
      weight class.

Joining Fager at nationals from UVU will be sophomore
      125-pounder Jade Rauser, senior 141-pounder Avery Garner and senior 165-pounder Curtis Abner Cook.

Garner (14-8) punched his ticket to the NCAA
      Championships by winning the 141-pound title at last week's West Regional, while
      Rauser (10-3) and Cook (7-7) both came back through the wrestlebacks to earn
      their spots. Rauser earned his qualifying spot by winning a true second-place
      match while Cook picked his up by taking third in his weight class.

Next week will mark Utah Valley's fifth straight season
      that its grapplers will wrestle at the NCAA Championships. The four wrestlers
      will be one better than its previous high of three as UVU sent three in 2009-10,
      three in 2010-11, one in 2011-12 and three again last season.

The NCAA also released brackets for next week's
      championship on Wednesday afternoon and Rauser will open up his second
      consecutive trip to nationals against to top seed from Illinois Jesse Delgado
      (25-2). Garner will take on No. 15 Anthony Collica (28-7) from Oklahoma State
      while Cook will open up against Collica's Cowboy teammate in No. 2 Tyler
      Caldwell (24-3). The at-large selection Fager, will be UVU's lone seeded
      wrestler as he'll enter the tournament seeded 15th in his weight class. Fager
      will begin his second NCAA Championship run against Rutgers' William Smith
      (25-6).

The 2014 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships will be
      held March 20-22 at the Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City, Okla. For
      ticket information, please visit NCAA.com.

NCAA Championships Brackets Released
      NIU represented at national tournament for
      43rd-straight year

INDIANAPOLIS – Northern Illinois University seniors Nick Smith (Ida,
      Mich./Ida) and Rob Jillard (Franklinville, N.J./Delsea Regional) found out their
      first-round opponents Wednesday, as the brackets for the 2014 NCAA Championships
      were unveiled by the association.

For NIU, it
      marks the 43rd consecutive season in which at least one Huskie has advanced to
      the national tournament, a streak that dates back to 1972. Additionally, this
      marks the first appearance at the NCAA Championships for Smith, while Jillard
      returns to the meet after qualifying at Liberty University in

Smith, a native of Ida, Mich., starts the tournament at
      133 with a matchup against #8 David Thorn of Minnesota. Thorn finished the year
      with a 24-6 record for the Golden Gophers and placed fourth at the Big Ten
      Championships. Win or lose, he will take on either Ohio State’s Johnni DiJulius
      or Maryland’s Tyler Goodwin in his second match. The ninth-seeded DiJulius ended
      the year with a 26-7 mark and a sixth-place finish at the Big Ten tournament,
      while Goodwin maintains a 15-8 record following his second-place finish in the
      ACC tournament.

Meanwhile, Jillard opens at 149 with a bout against
      seventh-seeded Gus Sako of Virginia. Sako enters the championships with an 18-3
      record after claiming third place for the Cavaliers at the ACC Championships.
      The Huskie senior’s second match pits him against Virginia Tech’s Zach Neibert
      or Rutgers’ Ken Theobold. Neibert, the 10th-seeded wrestler at 149, is 22-7 on
      the year and captured the ACC crown at 149 for the Hokies. For Theobold, he
      boasts a 22-12 record and ended up as the EIWA’s third-place
      finisher.

The NCAA Championships start at 11 a.m. CT inside
      Oklahoma City’s Chesapeake Energy Arena with the opening rounds and continues
      through the title matches on Saturday, March 22. The ESPN family of networks
      will provide unprecedented coverage of the tournament with coverage on ESPN and
      ESPNU across all three days. In addition, ESPN3 will provide individual feeds
      for every mat, allowing fans to watch every match of the tournament – including
      wrestleback matches – with live commentary.

The NIU
      Matchups

133: Nick Smith (NIU) vs. #8 David Thorn
      (Minnesota)

Next round: #9 Johnni DiJulius (Ohio State) OR Tyler Goodwin
      (Maryland)

149: Rob Jillard (NIU) vs. #7 Gus Sako
      (Virginia)

Next round: #10 Zach Neibert (Virginia Tech) OR Ken Theobold
      (Rutgers)

Brackets

http://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/external/gametool/brackets/wrestling_di_2014.pdf

Kent State’s Caleb Marsh (Marysville, Ohio) was awarded an at-large bid to the 2014 NCAA Championships Wednesday, giving the Golden Flashes four NCAA qualifiers.  Only four at-large bids were available at 174, but Marsh’s wins over several highly-ranked opponents throughout a brutal Kent State schedule likely impacted the selection committee’s decision.

A junior, Marsh is 18-11 on the year with eight wins against opponents who earned automatic bids to this year’s NCAA Championships.  Among “on the bubble” 174-pounders, the next highest win total against automatic qualifiers was three. 

Marsh recently placed sixth at the MAC Championships, in a bracket that carried five automatic qualifying spots.  A two-time MAC Wrestler of the Week this season, 10 of his 11 losses have come against automatic qualifiers.  Marsh will be making his second trip to the NCAA Championships.

At this past Sunday’s MAC Championships, sophomores Mack McGuire (Upper St. Clair, Pa.), Michael DePalma (Jeannette, Pa.) and Ian Miller (Union, Ohio) each earned automatic bids to the NCAA Championships. 

Brackets and seeds for the 2014 NCAA Championships at Oklahoma City’s Chesapeake Energy Arena were also released Wednesday.  Miller (27-4) earned the No. 4 seed and will take on Edinboro’s Johnny Greisheimer (24-9) in the opening round. 

McGuire claimed the final (No. 16) seed and will take on a familiar foe in Missouri’s Matt Manley (23-14) in the opening round.  DePalma will battle No. 9 seed Eric Grajales of Michigan.  Marsh will face No. 6 seed Logan Storley (30-5) of Minnesota in the opening round.

Sophomore Cole Baxter (Butler, Pa.) and junior Tyler Small (Littlestown, Pa.) were passed over for at-large spots, despite strong seasons.  Baxter had more overall wins and more wins against automatic qualifiers than any other “on the bubble” wrestler at 197.  Small’s seven wins against automatic qualifiers stood out against other at-large candidates.

For the ninth straight season Kent State will be sending four or more of its wrestlers to the NCAA Championships beginning March 20.

Claxton Earns At-Large Bid to the NCAA Championship

Tweet this release: http://bit.ly/1lBE2wJ

Claxton Earns At-Large Bid to the NCAA Championship

NCAA announces seeding and brackets

March 12, 2014

ATHENS, Ohio – Ohio University junior Tywan Claxton earned an at-large selection at 149 pounds to the 2014 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championship. He was one of 45 at-large selections that were announced today.

Claxton joins teammates Jeremy Johnson (Broadview Heights, Ohio), Phil Wellington (Euclid, Ohio), Cody Walters (Macedonia, Ohio), Harrison Hightower (Strongsville, Ohio) and Spartak Chino (Wheaton, Ill.) as participants in the 2014 NCAA Championships.

The Johnson, Wellington, Walters, Hightower and Chino all earned automatic bids to nationals last weekend at the MAC Championships.

Claxton (South Euclid, Ohio) received the at-large selection after he finished the regularseason with an overall record of 26-7. He entered the 2014 Mid-American Conference Championships as the No. 1 overall seed at 149 pounds.

In addition to the at-large selections, the NCAA also announced the pairings for this year’s championships.

Walter, Wellington and Johnson all earned Top 16 seeds in their respective bracket as they were seeded eighth, eighth and 10th, respectively.

Ohio’s six qualifiers to the NCAA Championship are the most in head coach Joel Greenlee’s tenure in Athens. Over the past two seasons, the Bobcats have sent 11 individuals to the NCAA Championships.

#OhioBobcats

http://www.huskers.com//ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=28&DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=209432962

http://www.gomocs.com//ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=10572&DB_OEM_ID=17700&ATCLID=209432975

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel